Would cruise on the Mariner again.

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Mariner of the Seas

3 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 03, 2020

Ship: Mariner of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 6574

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

Overall good time despite the Coco Cays port cancellation.

Embarkation

Expedited boarding was nice. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Ship experiences

Was very impressed with quality and offering of food for both complimentary and specialty dining. Most importantly, they were able to accommodate gluten intolerance. Izumi Hibachi was excellent!!

Chop's Grille

Overall, not bad. Had to send back crab cakes (they weren’t good) ended up getting mushroom soup which was pretty good. My daughter didn’t Like the bacon and sent hers back. (We’ve NEVER sent back food before, this was just bad ). I enjoyed the salmon and my daughter said her filet mignon was good. The waiter was very nice and brought out a special dessert to accommodate my daughter’s food allergies, which she loved. And the cheesecake I had was very good. Note: it is very dark in there. We were seated across from the kitchen which had very bright lights. This bothered the gentleman in the table next to me because the light was beaming in his eyes. It didn’t bother me that much.

Cafe Promenade

Offered pizza, sandwiches, whole fruit and desserts. Only had pizza which was ok. Always had pizza ready. If you have gluten allergies, they will make GF pizza. Sometimes you have to wait a longer time than normal for this so plan accordingly. My daughter said Chocolate mousse dessert was good.

Windjammer Marketplace

Surprised how good this was. Much better than Norwegian Dawn. Plenty of offerings for breakfast. They had a separate Gluten free section and the chefs cooked GF pancakes for my daughter. I had omelettes from the omelette station. They give you a beeper when it’s ready...which was pretty fast. Oh, and crispy bacon! Waitstaff was always around serving drinks and clearing tables. Not too crowded, we always got a window seat.

Main Dining Room

Only ate here once for dinner. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating of food allergies. The chef worked with my daughter so she had more options than what was marked GF on the menu. She enjoyed her steak and I had beef tenderloin which was delicious. Portion was small (which I was thankful for), but waiter offered to bring another entree if I wanted one.

Enjoyed the water slides, escape room. They canceled ice skating and they didn’t offer laser tag on all nights so we missed that. Enjoyed watching belly flop competition from the 14th deck.

Harry Potter trivia was fun. Didn’t go to any shows except for adult only Crazy Quest, which was hilarious, albeit not for everyone. It got pretty raunchy at times so be warned.

Everyone was helpful and pleasant.

Room was clean. Drapes could use a wash. Plenty of room for the two of us. 4 would be tight though. Beds were very comfortable. Enjoyed having the balcony and left the door open at night to hear the ocean.

Ship tip

Be prepared to have the Coco Cay port canceled if it’s windy.

Ports of call

Port Canaveral, Florida

Stayed at Best Western in Cocoa Beach a night before and after the cruise. The pier is nice, but not much else to do. Beach is very nice and there weren’t a lot of people there in January. Used Cocoa Beach shuttle for transportation which I would not do again because of wait times. Drivers were very pleasant though.

Wouldn’t get off ship if we hadn’t booked at Breezes Resort. We shared a cab with travelers from another cruise and it cost $15 for the two of us. (They’ll tell you $20.) At Breezes It was about $100/pp and $50 for a cabana to have a butler wait on you. Unlimited drinks and food from poolside grill. Drinks are watered down, if you tip the bartender he’ll take care of you. We had cabana 1 which was farthest from activities. Our butler (Joshua) wasn’t just OK. Jerk chicken was delicious. They had plenty of activities.

Disembarkation

We let them take our luggage and waited until 9 to leave. Everything went quickly and staff was helpful.