Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Mexico

Picture Perfect Weather

Sail Date: February 01, 2010

The ship was beautiful and had lots to keep you busy. Unfortunately the first day was a nightmare as all of the rooms on the seventh and eighth floors port side were keyed incorrectly. Compounding this problem after standing in line to get new keys for what seemed like forever my husband was given two new keys. The problem was that one of them was in his name and the other belonged to a person unknown to us. That would not worry you much except each room key is tied to a credit card guarantee which I could only envision turning into a disaster if someone had mine. My husband hustled back down and went straightaway to the front counter much to the disappoint of those waiting in line. The staff quickly canceled my card and reissued, problem finally solved.

The food preparation and quality for the dinners was great. The cafe or quick food areas have lowered the quality since I cruised two years ago and was just okay.

The shows, with the exception of the onstaff musical venues, was great. The Nelson brothers, Ricky, Ice Skaters, Comedians and general bands did fantastic jobs. I don't know about you but after watching shows like American Idol I know there is a lot of untapped talent so do not know why they would settle for singers that are sub par.

The Captain was very available and had a great personality and attitude as did the activities Director.

The shopping on ship from a jewelry venue seemed more like flea market quality. Not a good value from what I saw.

We bypassed booking any excursions to just searching out on our own. As a result a pari-sail excursion that is set at 90.00 per person was found on the beach for a price of 25.00 per person. Quite the savings!

Pros: The Food

Cons: Check In

Recommends Mariner of the Seas? Yes!

Main Dining Excellent, all other venues sub par.
They varnished the railing on our balcony while we were on the ship which we noted to be quite worn when we got into our room. The carpeting in the hall areas also could use an update.
Beds were wonderfully comfortable and our stateroom attendant did a nice job of taking care of us.