Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Exceeded Expectations!

Sail Date: April 01, 2008

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship is incredibly relaxing and phenomenally clean. I usually sail Disney Cruise Line which I thought was the cleanest of ships but Mariner of the Seas surpassed it by far. It's not as "luxurious" in decor theme but too much ornate touches is harder to keep clean!! Simple, elegant and plenty of casual spaces.

Pros: The Ship was beautiful

Cons: Disorganized shore excursions

Recommends Mariner of the Seas? Yes!

I never expect much from cruise line food (I think the days of incredible food are over or land restaurants are that much better). Disney has better food but only by a margin.
Could not be any cleaner.
The room was so well laid out and designed that I didn't even notice that the stateroom was smaller than others I've been in. I had a Promenade Stateroom and the bay window made the room feel huge despite being an "inside" cabin. It was a bit noisy at night but that cuts out around 10 or 11 at night. Incredibly creative storage spaces and the nicest bathroom and shower at sea. I loved being in the shower and who can say that about a cruise ship bath?!
I'd have given this a 6 if it weren't the outright surly staff at the Spa (which are not RCL employees as I understand it). The rest of the crew were excellent but not superior to Disney crew in terms of consistently good/excellent service. That said, the Captain (Johnny Faevalen) and the Cruise Director (Drew) are absolutely THE BEST at sea and made this cruise and ship memorable.
I was utterly overhelmed by the number of activities on board for everyone. That said, the shore excursions were great but could be organized better.
I liked the range of ages they had activities for and the productions the kids did were fun and hilarious. I also like how many kid/family oriented activies you can do as a family on the ship and not just rely on programs. In this respect, it's better than Disney. Disney has better programs but family time outside of the program is not as varied as it is on Mariner of the Seas. Things like mini golf, ice skating, hop skotch, cards etc. - DCL doesn't offer things the whole family can do together whether you're 12 months or 12 years old.