Incredible Caribbean Cruise!

Mardi Gras Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Mardi Gras

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 04, 2021

Ship: Mardi Gras

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 16239

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Overall great cruise! I would definitely go again!

Embarkation

It was definitely faster than expected. We arrived a little after our boarding time and they immediately sent us to the front of the line. They checked our boarding ticket and told us to go to the front. Check-in was smooth. I'm assuming because the Mardi Gras was the only ship at this terminal.

Ship experiences

Main dining was ok. I was a little surprised as they were somewhat good on other ships. The servers were great and always greeted us with our name and a smile. The specialty restaurants we visited were awesome. We ate a Chibangs, Fahrenheit 555, Cucina del Capitano, Big Chicken, Guys Burger Joint, Guys Pig and BBQ and of course on the Lido deck. Overall the food was good and there were still other restaurants that we didn't try. We will on the next trip!

Lido Marketplace

Always good. They have a variety of items through out the day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Guy's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse / Brewhouse

It was Okay. Not what I expected but the entertainment from the band was good.

Guy's Burger Joint

Always a good spot to get something quick to eat.

Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse

I'm not a big steak person but they were pretty good. I didn't use any steak sauce and it was seasoned very well.

Cucina del Capitano

One of my favorite restaurants on the ship. Spaghetti Carbonara was great.

Chibang!

Great spring rolls. Overall atmosphere and mood was good.

Big Chicken by Shaq

Back of ship by a pool and hot tub. Food is great and the skinny flat fries are great. The sandwiches and strips are good. Also close to the soft serve and froyo machine.

I tried just about everything on the ship. The only thing I didn't try was the Bolt. I waited until the last day to ride it and it was shut down. Water park was great even for adults, mini-golf, ropes course, anything you can name I did it. Highly recommend the onboard activities on this ship.

The only reason why I put this as a 4 is because the playlist performers on the other ships were better to me. The main thing I like the most was the Cruise Director. They Flying Scottsman was the best! I wish I could have him on all my cruises. Very friendly and personal. The DJ's were good, the live bands were good in particular the center stage band and the band that played at Guys Pig and BBQ.

Great from top to bottom!! Everyone knew our names and catered to our names. The dinning room servers always entertained us with jokes and their singing. Our stateroom attendant was great. We talked to him for a least 10 minutes everyday. We got to know a little about his background and family. He was awesome!

A new ship so yes it's going to be really clean and the layout was perfect for us. We stayed on deck 16 which is the bottom half of the Lido deck. Everything we needed was just a few steps away, well more than a few steps but if you've been on the Mardi Gras and stayed on deck 16 you know what I mean.

Ver clean and comfortable. We loved the new look and design. We were actually able to enjoy our balcony this time. On a previous cruise we weren't able to enjoy it because someone in another cabin was smoking. We love the fact that there is no more shower curtain but a glass door. There was a 50 or 55in TV that displayed our name and the location. The room had plenty USB ports for charging phones, camera, etc. It was very well though out.

Ship tip

Don't get a cabin near or above the entertainment if you are an early bird, you will definitely hear everything. Entertainment lasts late into the night.

Ports of call

Didn't get off the ship this time because our excursion was canceled. We could have chosen another excursion but the wife had a major migraine headache. Cozumel is a beautiful port with pretty beaches and lots of fun activities. Last time I went on the waverunners.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

We went on ATV's. Didn't think the wife was going to like it but she had a ball. Our guides were good. We went through the jungle and at the end rode the coast line. After that we went to the beach to enjoy some food and drinks. The only thing bad about the excursion was while we were on the beach just trying to enjoy the sun and relax we had people coming up to us every minute trying to sell us thing. Couldn't take a nap at all.

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

I went ziplinning and had a ball. First time ever and it was great. After ziplining we went to the beach and it was real relaxing. Better than the previous day. It was a great way to end all of our excursion.

Disembarkation

Surprising very quick! I love the use of the facial recognition if you were using you passport as one of your documents. This was the fastest that we've left a ship. It was definitely under 30 minutes.