A Miss for Carnival

Mardi Gras Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Mardi Gras

7 Night Western Caribbean (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 21, 2021

Ship: Mardi Gras

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 17279

Traveled as: Couple

Reviewed: 1 month ago

Review summary

Embarkation was a nightmare. Food was hit and miss, the ports all nice and open. Masks were worn by about 95% of the passengers while out and about. The balcony rooms offered little privacy. You could look into other people's balconies just by looking down because they were tiered.

Embarkation

From the time we parked the car to the time we boarded it was 2 hours. One hour of that time was in the 90 degree heat. They offered no chairs, no water, no bathrooms till you were inside the terminal. It was hot, packed, and seemed to go on forever. We were told that only certain people could review a covid vaccine card and they would go between 3 to 4 tables.

Ship experiences

This was hit and miss. We LOVED Shaqs Big chicken and the Shaq sauce was divine. We ate at guys burgers and it was good. We did the sea day brunch...what a disappointment. No more cereal french toast, no more pork chop. I ordered steak and eggs....the tomato was bigger then the steak. Chi Bang was great the first night. We ordered a mix from the Asian and the Mexican side. All good. The next time different story. I am pretty sure that they are microwaving entrees. The quesadilla was warm to the touch on the outside but inside was a block of cold cheese. The steakhouse was blah. No more tablecloths and then they give you a plate, they then bring out your entree in another plate and transfer it to your plate. What a waste. The Italian place for dinner was ok, small portions and the meatball was pink in the middle. However for breakfast, they were great, the broken egg sandwich was wonderful. Just a lot of hit and misses. I loved all of the variety but it seemed that some of the quality had gone down.

I hope you like Trivia, trivia, trivia, walk the plank, trivia, trivia, trivia. Comedy club was always packed, same with the theater. Not enough activities to keep anyone engaged. The one bright spot was the Carnival Kitchen cooking class. For $30 per person you could join a group of people cook something with a chef. It was fun, but not advertised in the Hub app or online.

The theater and comedy clubs were always packed, trivia began to fill up also. Standing room only for most things. Further, I had forgotten how intrusive the cruise director chats are. I am not sure how much attention that man needed since he did 3 variety shows and hosted the Wake show every day...but wow...at least 5 times a day the over head bing bong would sound and he would drone on about things happening later and did ya hear about a watch sale? Before some of you jump on me and say you love cruise directors....this was more then usual.

Our room steward was great considering she had to clean the entire floor. Never really got to know any of the other staff

This is a big cluster. The design did NOT take into account people flow. You and too many things happening in too little of a space. We had around 4000 people onboard, I can't imagine the lines and chaos that will ensue when it reaches its full capacity.

I loved that 2 grown adults were able to freely move about the cabin. The bathroom still small, the shower took most of the rooms ND it was great. I loved the glass door and you had enough space to wash all your bits and pieces

Ship tip

Lower your expectations and if you have sailed on other lines, you may be disappointed

Ports of call

Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Port Canaveral, Florida

Disembarkation

Better then embarkation but still chaos. Long lines. You are supposed to wait to hear your muster station being called for self checkout....yet we did checked baggage and we were off the ship at the same time that they called our muster station.