Horrible Disappointment

Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas
Helpful Vote: 1

Majesty of the Seas

4 Night Bahamas (Port Canaveral Roundtrip)

Sail Date: February 13, 2017

Ship: Majesty of the Seas

Review Summary

Unfortunately, our ship was the one that made the news due to safety concerns and worn out life vests and we ended up stuck in port 24 hours after we were supposed to leave. Communication was extremely poor regarding what was happening regarding our trip, updates were much later than promised (and hard to understand) and the 25% credit wasn't nearly adequate.  In addition, we do not see a 25% discount on a future cruise as being any type of perk as we refuse to spend any additional money on a cruise through Royal Caribbean. Got to Nassau really late (we were not comfortable being there at night so it was a very short day), and we couldn't go to Cococay. Bad weather happens, but had RC taken care of regular maintenance BEFORE the cruise we would have made it to the island as originally planned---during great weather! Air quality on the boat was horrendous, and my hair, our clothes, etc. smelled awful the entire time. We suffered horrible respiratory reactions that went away when we were off the boat (endless coughing, coughing up phlegm, extreme sinus pressure, runny noses, etc.) and we fear that the ventilation system is perhaps inadequate/faulty/moldy? Air in the hallway was as bad as our stateroom and oftentimes smelled of sewage (8th floor). At one point, all the service doors to the sewer lines were open on our floor, so I'm thinking it was a known issue.  Workers were welding/repairing lifeboats near our room, and the smell/noise from that was awful as well. Many of us discovered that the insides of bathrooms doors near the pool were freshly varnished because we put our hands/clothes on them, but they were not marked as such-- no warning signs whatsoever.  So many vacations were ruined due to RC's negligence and poor communication!  Incredibly disappointed. When I contacted Royal Caribbean they responded with "We're sorry for the disappointment. We appreciate the time you've taken to express your concerns. We feel the compensation provided to be fair and no more will be offered."  That was it. I would have felt a lot better if they had responded that they would have looked into the concerns regarding air quality/health.  Regardless of feeling that we should have been given more than a 25% credit, it was important to me that they at least pretend to look into my concerns.  Obviously, it's all about the money to Royal Caribbean and not their passengers health and safety. I'm absolutely appalled.

Ship Experiences

It was just okay.

The room attendant and dining room attendants were wonderful. The communication from the higher-ups was poor and submitting a complaint was a waste of time. They don't seem to care.

Feel it's a health hazard. If you have any allergies/sensitivities, this is not the ship for you.