Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Travesty of the Seas

Sail Date: November 23, 2015

Lets get one thing out of the way: I am not a cruiser. But I have happily spent a week on charter Catamaran in BVI and sailed smaller sailboats with friends around the coast of Maine for longer than this cruise. So the problem here is not boats or being on the water.

From the start, as one enters the boarding area passing back-alley loading docks and industrial wastes it didn't feel like I was being welcomed to a lovely tropical retreat. I felt like a cow being herded ...was I getting milked or slaughtered?

Milked. The entirety of the boat and one's time on it is shaped with the singular purpose of relieving your pockets of any remaining cash. The lounges are WAY to loud and the entertainment totally obnoxious. Everywhere you go something is loud: the bad band playing fakey reggae near pool (closed some days) and hot tubs (totally closed), the DJs, the speakers throughout the boat and dining rooms, the lobbies with more bad cover bands/muscians, the sun decks.

I don't know how many people they jam onto this boat... but it is WAY too many for the size of the boat. After two days I was so tired of being run into by people who were not watching where they were going I just decided to lower my shoulder and start knocking people back if they weren't looking where they were walking.

None of this is the fault of the very nice and helpful staff all over the boat: housekeeping, guest services, dining room teams. Majesty is an older boat and in need of an update. But what really needs refreshing is the "personality" of the cruise.

Do not go on this trip expecting rest and relaxation and an immersion in tropical beauty. Expect too much cigarette smoke, long lines (we waited almost an hour in line snaking thru two lobbies and a huge dining room just to leave the boat at end), foodservice grade food in buffets and B+ restaurant food in sit-down dining rooms, loud entertainment every where you go, and no where to go to get away from it all - except off this sadly ill-conceived cruise.

I wasn't thrilled at having bunk beds essentially. But beds were firm and pillows were ok - so that was good. Room was clean and housekeeping does a nice job of turning down beds each night.
Lines way too long. Spaces not beautiful. Sets bad tone. We waited moe than one hour in long long lines to disembark at end.
They skipped CocoCay because it was too rough. Nassau lame.
WAY OBNOXIOUS. WAY WAY TOO LOUD. EVERYWHERE
Food in dining rooms good - B+ or better. Buffet food largely disappointing

Bring hearing protection. And leave expectations of a beautiful tropical experience behind. And the ticket to board the boat better come with a stack of cash to compensate for all the time you will waste getting there and during cruise.