Sail Date: August 31, 2015
Reviewed: 1 year ago
Traveled As: Couple
Room Type: Oceanview
I would like to break this out by specific areas, using a scale of 1 to 5 stars, 1 being the lowest:
1) Dinner Service: Superior (5 Stars)... during the 6:30 pm service, The servers were outstanding doing everything they could to make our experience what we expected from Royal Caribbean, which was rated as the Top Cruise Line....They were a Shining Star of the Brand.
2) Food Quality.... (2 Stars) Sub-Standard:
Dinner: Food quality was average to poor, far below what I expected from Royal Caribbean. Haven been on a Norwegian Cruise previously, they were superior to you food quality. Expected 5 Stars
Windjamer: (1 star) A bunch of pre-prepared, warmed up food, which reminded us of a high school cafeteria. Once again, far below what I expected from Royal Caribbean. The hamburgers were dry, and the food quality was just poor.
Johnny Rockets:(1 Star) Out of desperation, my wife went to Johnny Rockets for a meal, instead of making a new hamburger, they heated up a hamburger which had been made earlier, couldn't believe it......
Morning Breakfast in Dining Room: (4 Stars) Only meal we felt was above average.
Morning Coffee Shop: (5 Stars) Probably one of your shining stars, All the people who worked there were great, and took great care of us throughout the cruise....
4) Room Cleaning and Service: (5 Stars) Once again, superior service from this team. Never missed a beat, and were always ready to clean the room, whenever we were ready. Him and his team should be recognized..., although the linens they had to work with were old and in poor shape.
5) Casino: (1 Star): Claustrophobic, Smoky, Dingy, Antiquated, with old machines, and non functional machines and buttons. Felt like a 1950's Vegas casino, which had never been renovated. Far below expectations.
6) Entertainment: (3 Stars) The staff really tried to make it a memorable event. The two comedians were good, The disco and flags events at center ship were well received, but the stage shows, need to improve on the singing talent, although the team had a lot of enthusiasm.
7) Majesty of the Sea: (1 Stars) Although you said the ship was renovated (4) years ago, it didn't feel it. It was antiquated and just felt old, more than it's 23 years. When we arrived in the Bahamas, I looked up at the side of the ship, and saw a large, dripping rust stain, like a old fishing trawler.... The quality of the rooms, bathrooms, curtains, beds, linen, were old and antiquated, something I would have expected on Lesser Cruise Lines.... None of this had anything to do with the service, this is Royal Caribbean just putting out a inferior product, and hoping the superior service compensates for it.
8) Spa (5 Stars): Excellent Service, one of the shining stars
9) Ship On-Off Processing (3 Stars): Not great, not bad, sometimes disorganized, what you would have expected, although I did see an elderly couple having trouble walking to the processing area to on-board, but once I pointed this out to your staff, they were immediately processed through the line, with a wheel chair.
10) On Shore Excursions: (4 Stars) Excellent job making sure we knew where to go, and who to go with. Never any questions that were not quickly answered. One recommendation I would make is to put out a larger tent for shade outside, while waiting for the tours to start, or better yet, have people stay inside the air conditioned ship in a specified area, and come get then when the excursion is ready to start.
Comments: Potentially, my expectation were to high, since I had read a lot about the Royal Caribbean brand. My wife and I are at the point, where we want to plan a cruise every year, unfortunately, at this point, Royal Caribbean is not high on my list.