Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

Will Never Take That Ship Again

Sail Date: January 03, 2011

Even though The Majesty of the Seas is an older ship, information was relayed to me that stated much money had been invested in the ship to renovate it. Given that and the fact that I HAD believed that Royal Caribbean had a quality reputation, I believed my son and I would have a good experience on their ship. Our stateroom door would not close properly-there was something wrong with the seal on it so we had to try two and three times to make sure it was secure prior to leaving our stateroom; two doors down from us was a stateroom door with a clear imprint of someone's fist; hairs were all over our bedding, towels, and floor. I literally took a pillow and beat the bedding to try to get hairs off of it. Maybe R.C. should get silky bedding instead of the cotton/flannel so hairs won't stick to them so easily? Or clean their laundry equipment? My luggage was delayed in getting to me. We ordered room service one evening and the delivery person literally gave my son a dirty look and stormed out of our stateroom-offensive! And after my son had eatten two slices of the pepperoni pizza he ordered, he discovered a DARK WIREY HAIR ON HIS FOOD! He immediately called Guest Services and requested to speak to a supervisor and was told that a supervisor was not available. An alarm went off around 3 a.m. in the cabin next to us which apparently had some kind of maintenance issue. The next day, our stateroom cabin toilet went on an automatic repeated flush cycle and would not stop! I made THREE phone calls to get the issue addressed. Elevators were out of service, stairway glass was broken, etc. My son and I felt like we had been on a tour of IRAQ by the time it was over. We were actually HAPPY to get back home! What kind of statement is that for a vacation? Even though R.C. has much larger ships, The Majesty of The Seas is a reflection of their operations and it is a disgrace to them if they indeed have ships which are better managed.

Pros: CocoCay

Cons: Filthiness; hairs all over bedding, even hair on food ordered by room service; broken toilet in our stateroom; broken elevators; broken glass along stairway with CAUTION tape; alarms going off in cabin on one side of us; walls getting hit by cabin on other side; delay in receipt of luggage; etc

Recommends Majesty of the Seas? No.

DIRTY and many areas in need of maintenance! Febreeze is highly recommended. Not enough coffee in the Windjammer to accomodate everyone trying to get coffee, either. It was like a battle to see who could get their cups filled when coffees had finished their brewing cycle (signs on coffee makers regarding unavailability while in brewing). I enjoy cream in my coffee but didn't want to fight the crowds in the coffee area to get any. Nice!
Dining time definately NOT convenient. One example-we arrived in the Bahamas to depart the ship at 1:30 p.m. dinner at 6? Don't think that's going to happen when it takes quite a while to get through the lines to both get off the ship and get back on the ship.... I don't want to have a demanding schedule when I am on vacation. I have to deal with a demanding schedule every day of my "regular" life and when I take a trip, I want to relax.
NEVER AGAIN. The only way anyone will catch me on a Royal Caribbean ship is if they literally comp me the entire trip and it would have to be on a ship OTHER than the Majesty of the Seas. When we took showers, the floor always ended up wet because the flimsy/short shower curtain set up was not capable of keeping the shower water in the shower area; our stateroom DOOR would not close; TOILET WAS BROKEN! If you are looking to make a wig out of human hairs, then by all means, Majesty of the Seas staterooms would be perfect for you. Alarms going on in one stateroom next to us; walls begin banged repeatedly in the stateroom on the other side of us; hair in our food; we should have been given valium to help deal with these conditions.
Our stateroom housekeeper always put on a smile but could not communicate the english language with us effectively. Therefore, gone was any attempt at trying to address the many issues we encountered. We literally hand-wrote notes for him to request ice, hoping that if he could not read english, that he would be able to pass our note along to someone else who could so that we could get a bucket of ice in our room...Our head waiter was charming and was definately an example of stellar customer service. Other than that, we were practically insulted by room service (room service delivery person stormed out of our stateroom after delivering a pizza with hair on it); and when we called to comment about the people in the stateroom next to us who kept banging on the wall, we were blown off-told there were two old ladies in that room-right! If that was the case, then those two old ladies should not have been left unattended-they should have been supervised. What a trailer park experience.
We booked a Snuba excursion- Paid $224 for what we were told would be an excursion in Key West 6-7 miles away from the ship, go 20+ feet down, etc. The morning of the excursion we were told that the weather would not permit for adequate visibility to go to the normal Snuba spot so they took the book not very far away from our ship in a shallow area. IF visibility were actually challenged, that would be understandable. However, the day was crystal clear! There was a slight morning fog which had disappated by the time we began our boat ride to the spot. NO tropical fish were visible! We saw a conch shell-nothing else. One of the 4 "crew" members showed up late, looked hung over, complained the ENTIRE time about what a bad day she was having, how she had a bad bus ride that morning, wanted to spend 2011 hiding in Alaska; she tangled lines when it was time to lift the anchor; she complained about the ship not having enough weights for everyone, etc. We felt totally ripped off.
Broken glass in the water; drugs being offered by locals; beer $5.00 each; dirty. Guess we were on the wrong side of the tracks. We have heard that the Atlantis side is the side we should have visited.
Key West, Florida
DO NOT BOOK SNUBA EXCURSION. If we hadn't WASTED our time with this mess, maybe we could have seen other parts of Key West, done a different excursion, etc.
Don't Miss: Wouldn't know
Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island)
Of the ports visited, Cococay was the nicest. No broken glass in the water. Food offered. Plenty of chairs available. Live music being played.
Don't Miss: water