Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Bahamas

A disappointment

Sail Date: January 01, 2010

My husband and I were looking forward to our FIRST cruise ever, especially the beach and the sun. We got neither of those on our cruise from Jan. 4-8. Yes, the staff was nice and the food was good. However, the weather was cold and blustery which I realize cannot be helped, but this changed the whole schedule of activities. The outdoor, poolside plans were moved inside. My swim suit never made it out of the suitcase. When we stopped at Nassau, getting off the ship was like walking in a (cold) wind tunnel. My husband and I were so miserable walking around, we went back to the ship at noon. The next day we were scheduled for a day on Coco Cay, the Royale Carribean's private island. That day was canceled since the seas were too rough for the small boats to ferry us from our ship to the island. No plan B by the cruiseline. We thought R. C. would at least have some other plan or a treat for us since the whole day and its activities were canceled. Instead we floated around a day until we could dock at Key West. Key West was nice--the sun came out for part of the day but it was still cold. We feel we didn't get our money's worth, and after the expense of plane fares from Illinois and hotel room the night before the cruise, we can't afford to go back sometime soon when weather conditions are likely to be more favorable. It's just a big disappointment for us.

Pros: Healthy choices for food, well prepared; pretty good entertainment

Cons: The lack of a plan B for passengers when the cold weather canceled activities

Recommends Majesty of the Seas? No.

When my daughter went on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago, she said her ship had an indoor pool. I sure wish our ship had one so I could have pretended to be at the beach. I didn't get out of my sweatshirt and jeans the whole time. No one on our ship was silly enough to get in our (outdoor) pool's water.
Small but what I had been told to expect.
I was told by friends who had gone on cruises that there was food available 24 hours a day on a cruise ship. That is not what I understand from our experience. If you wanted ice cream or coffee or something in between normal meal times, you paid for it. And, of course, prices were not cheap. Maybe I really "missed the boat" but I didn't see or hear about snacks in between meals.
Healthy choices which I liked.