Maasdam Cruise Review to Canada, New England, New York

Wow! What a crew.

Sail Date: May 01, 2007

This was the best cruising experience my wife and I have every had. I love repositioning cruises because you get to see a greater variety of ports with some stops that don't usually see very many cruise ships. This was the case with our itinerary starting from Fort Lauderdale and ending in Montreal. We really enjoyed all the ports but my favorites were Savannah,Ga (the people), New London,CT (the people and the 11 cannon salute welcome), and Quebec City (it's just beautiful). We hadn't been to the east coast before in our travels, (from Kansas), so this variety wetted our appetite for further exploration on land.
We've been on 6 cruises on 4 different lines and the friendliness of the crew of the Maasdam is exceptional. You can tell that the humor, helpfulness, and joy of life begins with Captain Henk through his infrequent anouncements and from his appearances at various funtions. This is further promoted by Cruise Director Adam and all the staff. To encounter a crew member on the stairs while they're cleaning and receive a warm greeting and smile is wonderful.
I must add that my wife and I were in the younger 5% of the passengers onboard. That is to be expected on a Holland America cruise of longer than 7 days. Even though most were older, they were a vibrant group who enjoy the quality that Holland America provides.

Pros: The quality and friendliness of the crew from Captain Henk on down.

Cons: Does ther have to be one?

Recommends Maasdam? Yes!

The quality and variety of food was excellent and even with a 15 day cruise, the repeat offerings seemed minimal. On one occasion my wife wasn't attracted to any of the entrees on the dining room menu but found one of the appetizers applealing. Our waiter brought her a double serving along with her favorite veggies for an excellent entree.
We utilized the Lido buffet restaurant for most breakfasts and lunches and a few dinners. We used the starboard side of the Lido and were always greeted by the incomperable Nino, handing out trays and welcoming us by name. All the staff was helpful and friendly.
Across the board, I have not experienced any better.
The resident singers and dancers exhibited great enthusiasm but had some uneven performances. They ranged from so-so to excellent. The guest artists were very good but I missed some. The cruise directer Adam is very talented and I enjoyed catching him perform in more than his emcee duties.
There are several musical perfomers and groups in various lounges and all of them are top notch. Whether you want something up beat or laid back, they delivered.
For an older ship, we were very pleased with the top condition of all the public areas. We especially enjoyed the Explorations area with its computers, reading materials, seating, coffee bar, and nitches.
Since we were going to be so close the shore a lot of the time, I decided to spring for a veranda cabin for the first time. It was spacious and we really enjoyed sitting on the balcony, particularly in and out of ports through rivers. As another reviewer noted, our sink was also cracked but still held water better than my bathroom sink at home. This is an older ship but with much loving character