Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Second Mate

Spanish Tax added was a unwelcome surprise

Sail Date: October 05, 2014

Room Type: Suite

Having sailed around the Mediterranean on numerous occasions this was the first time that an additional tax had been added to the onboard billing. As well as the usual gratuity which is automatically added to Bevarages and Food items an additional 10 % Spanish tax was also added whilst on retail purchases this was an additional 20%. What happened to duty free prices ?

On boarding we bought a wine package which we were informed was 165 US$ for 5 Bottles plus the usual gratity which was an additional 24.25 US$ There was no mention from the stewart who was selling us the packaage that there would be an additional 10% Spanish tax added and I only noticed this later when I was checking the reciept against the account system on the inroom TV. We choose the wine package as it represents good value for money and I had already preselected in my mind my favourite Red and White grapes. We were then disappointed to learn that the Red Robert Mondavi shown on the wine list was out of stock. This was not a good start to our cruise.

However generally we had a good cruise. Our junior suite 9538 was exactly as advertised. As we booked at the last minute we were allocated My Time Dinning and were unable to prebook our table requirements on the RCI website.I would recommend that on boarding the ship that you go straight to the my time dinning desk  at the main dinning room where you can  prebook your times for dinner. I insisted that I booked for the 7 days as I didnt wasnt to come back everyday and make a booking. The manager was alittle reluncant to do this but eventually did meet my request. Infact the dinning was the highlight of the cruise where we had an excellant Head waiter who lead by example his team of waiters. The service was impecable and the standard of food was excellant. We were surprised to learn that the head chef was an English Female in a male dominated kitchen.

Cruise Photos

Ship was well maintained throughout.
My Time Dinning was excellant. The food and service were great.
Exactly as shown on RCI Website. Loved the extra spacious room, walk in closet and large baclony with sun beds and chairs and table
Head Waiter
Ice show was the highlight of all the onboard entertainment.
Children's Programs N.