Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Food very disappointing

Sail Date: February 01, 2012

Royal Caribbean Liberity of the sea, January 30, 2012for five nights ending February 4, 2012.

With 3,778 guests this ship was too big and too crowded as compared to the Celebrity Millennium, the only other cruise we have been on.

Ship's promenade on deck fivewas attractive andglitzy at first glance. It turned out to be a giant shopping mall. Everywhere you turn they were trying to sell you something from jewelry to T-shirts andspecialty restaurants where you had to pay extra to eat even at a hamburger place called Johnny Rockets.

The main shows were great, first-class. The staff was friendly and courteous. There were a lot of activities on the ship but most of them were geared around selling you some extra cost goods orservice. It seems like selling you something else was the main theme of the cruise.

The state rooms and the housekeepingstaff was great andexceeded our expectations.

The elevators were nice especially the glass ones that looked into the promenade.

The food in the main dining room ranged from poor to good and averaged around fair. I had prime rib twice and it was the two worst pieces ofprime ribs I've ever had - and I have eaten prime rib often. The head waiter came around and asked how everything was and I told him about the tasteless prime rob. He said he would mention it to the chef but who knows if he did. Anyway, we never heard anything about it.

The service in the fifth deck dining room ranged from above average to poor. One time I had to ask for ice tea two or threetimes before I finallygot it. When my water glass was empty I had to ask twice before it got filled up again. One night my wife ordered scallops and pasta and the scallops thatcame were about 1 1/2 timesthe size of a lead pencil, or about the size of end of an average person's little finger, and there wasn't evenvery manyof them.

The buffet in the Windjammer, on the 11th deck, was about average but not what you would expect on a cruise ship. They had a good selection of salad items and a reasonable variety of vegetables. The offering of fruit was okay. The selection of dinner meat was quite limited. They had hot dogs or knockwurst and hamburgers at each lunch and dinner but the hamburger patties were thin and looked like they were pressed into a standardshape by some machine that left them with a checkeredwaffle like pattern on them - not anything like a home madebackyard hamburger, or a hamburger you would get at Outback.

The service in the Windjammer range from good to poor. On one occasion we saw a waiter wipe a seat down and then use the same rag to wipe the table for the next guest. On one occasion we had to wait about 10 minutes for the waiter, who was in charge of our table, to come and ask us what we would like to drink, and that was after one of the roaming managers foundour assignedwaiter and directed himto come toour table. The manager asked for our room number but we never heard back from anyone. Bottom line, the food and the food service were both a big disappointment!

The destinations that we went to were fine as were the tours arranged by the cruise line.

Our overall impression of the cruise was fair to good. We would probably give them a rating of two starswith five being best. Based on our experience with the food and food service we would probably not take another Royal Caribbean cruise.

Pros: Shows

Cons: Food

Recommends Liberty of the Seas? No.

Had prime rib twice. Size was inconsistant. About 1/2 inch first time and 1 inch second time. Tasteless, some grisle each time. Worst 2 prime ribs I ever had. Other guest at table said the same thing.