Great getaway cruise

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

7 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 02, 2011
Ship: Liberty of the Seas
The ship was in excellent condition and extremely clean. The crew was friendly and helpful. I had been on the Adventure of the Seas the prior year and this ship is laid out exactly the same, just bigger.

We requested a large table in the dining room but did not get one possibly due to the large number of families and large groups on board. I would rate the buffet and dining room food as average for a ship. Coffee served was great - Seattle's Best brand. Really enjoyed the coffee shop in the Promenade. Fries and pizza were also very good. My steak at Chop's Grille came out overcooked the first time, well done instead of medium, and almost too done to be considered medium the second time. The other food at Chop's was exceptional. Some of the best onion rings I have ever eaten! The best appetizer in the dining room was without a doubt the spinach dip. As usual, many of the desserts look much prettier than they taste.

The shows and entertainers were wonderful. There was always something going on. It did seem, though, that there wasn't as much music to choose from throughout the ship. I only saw a pianist in the Schooner Bar one night.

As always, the crew is what really makes the cruise enjoyable! Lots of smiles and hellos and they will always take a couple of minutes to chat. It is truly interesting to hear some of their stories. The exception is the photography staff which I have found on most ships to be less than accomodating and barely friendly. I suspect they are a contract company and not truly Royal Caribbean employees. Our travel companions actually witnessed one being very rude to some passengers.

Extremely clean

Extremely clean and well maintained. Absolutely no complaints. Probably the quietest cabin we have ever had. There was absolutely no outside noise from the hallways or adjoining cabins.
Island tour is interesting. We visited the town of Hell, the dolphins and, of course, the rum factory. The shopping is the best in the Western Caribbean with more quality products to choose from. One jewelry store after another.... The seas were rough and we had to anchor on the other side of the island from town. This was a good 20 minutes from town and the line to get on the tenders was very long.
I had been to Costa Maya twice before but this was the first time I took the taxi to the nearby fishing village. That was a really fun experience. The shops are along the beach and the vendors there were fun to talk with, even if you didn't buy anything from them.
Don't Miss: The fishing village
Not much to see except the cruise terminal. The best thing there were the cinnamon donuts sold in the terminal. We booked an independent tour at the terminal which turned out to be a very bad experience. Their tourism isn't nearly as regulated as some of the other ports.
Don't Miss: the cinnamon donuts
Beautiful port with beautiful views on the other side of the island as well. Lots of shopping and restaurants.

Pros: Service, friendly staff

Cons: Almost too many people

Recommends Liberty of the Seas? Yes!