Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

An Activity-Filled Ship

Sail Date: August 22, 2010

This ship was amazing. I've been on the Enchantment of the Seas, and this ship kicks that one out of the water. I had four sea days, and I'm glad because I got to do a lot of the activities on the ship: The Flow Rider, The (Rock Climbing) Wall, the skating rink, the mini-golf, etc. I highly recommend this ship for people with kids or younger cruisers (I'm 23 and my husband's 26).

Pros: There's so much to do on this ship!

Cons: The Windjammer got very busy before docking.

Recommends Liberty of the Seas? Yes!

The ship was beautiful. Unfortunately the vacationers put their trash everywhere, but the employees tried their best to keep it clean.
The food was good quality. They had a decent variety (with a few constants -- mashed potatoes, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc).

I chose the My Time Dining and will always choose this option from now on. It gives you the option to tell the Head Waiter what time YOU want to have dinner the next day. It's convenient if you decide to do shore excursions.

I didn't need any specialty options, but my husband had seconds on two different nights (once for cheesecake and another for lobster). The waiter was very accommodating and had no qualms for giving him a second plate.
I had a balcony at the rear end of the ship (# 7392). I got the option to have to pick exactly where my room would be -- I forget what they called it -- and saved $200. I felt the ship swaying a night, but it was actually kind of relaxing.

It was me and my husband in the room, so the size was comfortable. Honestly, if I couldn't get naked in front of my roommate, I would recommend getting a larger room.

The condition of the room was great. I don't know when the ship was made but it was still in good condition.
We met Tania in the Windjammer the first day and kept her as our server as much as possible. Like I mentioned before, the Windjammer gets extremely busy. Tania made sure we had a table (for two) every time we saw her. Believe me, that was much harder than it seems.
There was so much to do on this ship. There was a daily "Compass" that Royal Caribbean provides every night which has every activity and the time it starts. Every activity I attended was on time.

I mentioned The Flow Rider, The (Rock Climbing) Wall, the skating rink, and the mini-golf already and all I have to say about them is that they're worth half of the cruise price by themselves. Of course, there are several pools for those who just want to relax and a large H2O Zone for kids.

There was a casino (that I didn't use but I appreciated the option) and several bars/lounges. These areas were smoking areas and I really don't like that smell so I didn't stay to investigate them. The lounges usually had some form of live music playing.

There was also a full sized theater, which had five great shows out of the seven days we had to cruise.

Basically, you could spend your entire vacation on the boat.
I don't have kids but I noticed that there were several kids programs available. There was the kid's H2O Zone water area as well as activities specifically for kids or families. When I have kids, I know that Liberty of the Seas would be a great ship for them to cruise on.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
I did the Shipwreck Cove Snorkeling shore excursion at St. Maarten. The "Shipwrecks" were just downed modern boats with "cannons" that were probably bought and placed near the boats. The snorkeling was fun, but my husband felt cheated. We didn't leave the boat until the shore excursion was going to leave so I didn't see much of this port. The island was picture perfect, gorgeous, beautiful -- pick your adjective. I bought two bottles of the local Guavaberry rum for $17 each and was happy with that purchase.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I didn't book a shore excursion with the cruise and I'm glad because as soon a you got off the ship there were tour guides that were half the price that the cruise was charging ($20 per person, opposed to $37 per person). I took the tour of New and Old San Juan and was very happy with it. I'm from South Florida and New San Juan reminded me of South Beach, so I wasn't very impressed. Old San Juan was pretty, but surprisingly there was a lot of graffiti. Still, I definitely recommend this tour. I was told that the Bacardi Rum Distillery actually has free admission but the cruise charges $30 per person for this shore excursion. If you have the time (25 minutes each way) just take a taxi. I didnt have the time so I visited the Don Q store instead.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Labadee was kind of disappointing to me. My husband's parents are from Haiti and I was looking forward to this port to give him some connection with his... heritage, I guess. This is not real Haiti, which for vacationers is probably a good thing. This is a resort that happens to be on Haiti's side of Hispanola. There was no real local culture. Everything was a white-washed version of the island, which wasn't what I was looking for.