Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

First Time Cruiser

Sail Date: June 01, 2007

Traveled As: Family w/young children

Like many, I overlooked cruise vacations as "floating hotels" that were overpriced and overcrowded. My wife had cruised with RCI in the past and for the past twenty years, has tried hard to get me aboard. Well, this year, I swallowed the hook - we went aboard the Royal Carribean's Liberty of the Seas for an 8-day cruise to San Juan, St. Maarten and Labadee, RCI's private little paradise on the north shore of Haiti. This is one of the most beautiful vessels I've ever seen.

The ship was fantastic. While we knew it was brand new, it was designed for comfort and fun, no doubt. The big drawback for me in cruising was always "what to do with the kids." That question was rendered moot in this fabulous holiday. The facilities and staff on Liberty were superior to anything I've seen for children. Each major age group was segregated with separate staff, areas and programs. There is both security and comfort knowing that your kids (in our case, one ADHD who has survived Leukemia, and another whose preferences are so picky that it is often tough to please her) are taken care of by professional, degreed and fun-loving people who really take an interest in what they do. The kids would have spent the entire time there if we let them.

The pool areas, especially the H2O Zone (Liberty's little on-board water park) were especially fun. Not only is it a splash haven for kids, but the Carribean sunshine made it imperative for us adults to take a turn in the fountains or under the waterfall to cool off as well. There are hot tubs and a large pool with a nice circulating floating pool to cover the crowds. In fact, we never felt crowded, even at sea when everyone were topside in the pool.

For kids and adults alike, the climbing wall and super surfing Flow Rider," Liberty's on board rapid surf wave generator was a great touch. So too was the very challenging little 9-hole putting course as well.

Below decks...wow, you won't believe the prominade...Liberty is amazing. There is a theater that rivals most downtown facilities as well as a number of great little bars, clubs and even conference meeting facilties. For my hard-to-lease little 7-year old, the Ben & Jerry's was a must do every day. For me, the first time cruiser, I was constantly amazed. I kept telling my wife, "This is the greatest vacation I've ever had!" And I meant it! For those who think that Disney is the only way to cruise with kids, get this...our 7 year old (you know, the one that's hard to please) cried huge tears as we walked down the gangway leaving the ship. That is a testiment to how kids are treated aboard Liberty.

Our dining experience was excellent...wait staff the tops. These are really nice people who engage you like they are your best friends. Oh sure, that might be their jobs, but it doesn't matter...I think they are sincere.

We had a second deck cabin that, although we wish it was a bit more spacious, was excellently laid out. The flat panel TV was really cool, and the bathroom was pretty large for what you would expect. And the beds were tremendously comfortable. I expected a little smaller mattress, however, it was a heavenly bed and I slept like a baby.

There was so much to do, it was like going to Disney World...gotta go back multiple times and try everything. That was what it was like for me. Oh, and also, the 70's party was a hoot...down to the crew's best impersonization of the Village People's "In the Navy"...my daughter wondered how I knew the words!

If you have never cruised before, or you consider yourself a cruise expert, do the Liberty of the Seas. Take the family and relax. They (and YOU) are in good hands.

Pros: Kids' programs, pools and treatment

Cons: Music played aboard

Recommends Liberty of the Seas? Yes!