Legend of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Lots of Issues...but amazing ports!

Sail Date: December 12, 2013

Firstly, our ship arrived sick in Port Everglades. CDC had to come down, decontaminate etc. This was fine. We got about a 2 hour late start. Not a big deal. As soon as we got onto the ship, we handed over our formal night attire to be ironed and due back the next day (which was formal night) by 5pm. Needless to say, our dinner reservations were at 6:30pm and our clothes arrived at 6:15pm. We just barely made it to dinner on time. Dinner service the first two nights was awful...it took over two hours- not because of great conversation but because the kitchen was so far behind. Dinners came out cold and the quality was not what Royal Carribean usually provides.

The AC in our room was not working...we inquired about getting it fixed. Some guy, who barely spoke English came into our cabin, pointed a tool at the vent and explained it was to the ship's standard and nothing was going to be done about it. Meanwhile, we are BURNING up. Apparently the ship's standard is 75+ degrees in the cabins. Crazy. Later on, we complained again and amazingly enough, it was broken!

On the third night, we were to attend the Chef's Table. I pre-paid in October, made the reservations when I pre-paid. I had an email saying we were confirmed for the Chef's Table. We asked where to wait, we were told the wrong place twice (waited in both spots for a total of 30 minutes) They "lost" our reservations. The staff had a difficult time working with us on another date as the Chef's Table fills up quickly. Finally, we picked a date, December 16th (a port day, but we were due back on the ship early). I go to guest services in tears, because so many things had gone wrong at this point, I was overwhelmed and I felt like our honeymoon was getting ruined. Guest Services claimed they would make it better. I know the woman, Marikza (not sure if I am spelling that night) felt awful. she vowed to help turn our cruise around. So, after I try to calm down, we are offered a table for two in my time dining. We sit down, order a Jack on the rocks and a Mai Thai. The head waiter is waiting on us the entire meal. So clearly, they knew I was upset. AFTER we get the cocktails, the waiter from the Chef's Table comes over and offers us a bottle of wine for all the trouble. You see a fruity cocktail and a liquor on the rocks and you offer us a white wine? I was frustrated, but kindly declined as we already had drinks. Then, while we are in the midst of eating our dinner, a dozen red roses shows up at the table. Yes, they were pretty and what woman doesn't love flowers, but right in the middle of dinner? I thanked the delivery person, but they hung around for a bit which was slightly awkward. The head waiter had the flowers taken to our room, which was very nice of him.

So the next day, we go off the ship, venture into Aruba and have a nice day out with some new found friends. When we return to our room, we have an invitation for the Chef's Table for that night (which was the 15th). I go down to guest services and ask if this invitation was correct, because if it was, we only had 30 minutes to get ready and that wasn't happening. She called, they messed up again. In efforts to "fix" the earlier issues, they offered my husband and I a free couples massage, which we accepted. The reservations were made for us, which was wonderful. For the invitation mess up, we were offered a dinner table for two in my time dining, the bottle of wine and the head waiter again, took care of us.

When we finally made it to the Chef's Table, we were very happy. The food was wonderful, the other people at the table were great. We really enjoyed ourselves. We also ate at Chops which was fabulous! Great steak! Izumi was very good too, we had dinner and lunch there.

Oh! And St. Lucia was taken off the schedule and Labadee was added. WHAT A BUMMER! The two don't even comapre.

I have to say, Legend of the Seas is a very old ship. The entertainment is very weak, more geared towards a much older crowd. They had bingo, napkin folding, trivia and shows with people we never heard of, but all the older folks knew who they were. If you decide to take this cruise, take it for the ports only and expect to drink a lot because there isn’t much else to do!

Was clean, neat, orderly
Been better on other ships
We had the AC issue and a creeky balcony door that often kept us up all night- issues were fixed later in the cruise
Everyone tried to help make our issues better, which we appreciated
No decent entertainment for the younger crowd
Children's Programs N/A