Jubilee (RETIRED) Cruise Review

My husband and I set sail on the Jubilee on 10/25/03 out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. This being our fourth Carnival Cruise, we felt we were now "seasoned sailors" and new what to expect from a Carnival.The embarkation process out of San Juan was not the comfortable, orderly experience we had in both Miami and Cape Canaveral. We will consider embarkation location on our next cruise. Starting the trip off right is the first step to a satisfing experience.Our real issue, and the reason I am writing this review is regarding the theft of my husbands clothing from his luggage. Our intact baggage was put through the scanner and handed off to security at embarkation. Upon arrival to our cabin, my luggage was awaiting us. My husband's arrived several hours later. We proceded to unpack and found his belonging (what was left) disheveled and crumbled into a ball. His missing items, (including his formal dress suit, new shoes, new sandals, six dress shirts, toiletries, etc.) were estimated to be of $750 in value.Not only would Carnival take NO responsibility in the matter, but we found the pursers desk (the manager) was rude to us in trying to deal with the consequences that my husband was now at sea with minimal clothing to wear. (He was eventually given a voucher for a free tux rental for formal night.)We had to insist on speaking to the manager of security to have a report filed. As it was explained to us Carnival could "assure" us that the theft had not occured on ship, and must have happenned at port during the embarkation process. That may be, however I was disappointed to learn that Carnival does not even report the theft back to authorities at port. If this is an ongoing problem there, Carnival is doing nothing to intervene on behalf of their customers.That situation aside, I will give my observations regarding the ship, the staff and the service. If this was our first cruise we perhaps would have felt somewhat more satisfied with the overall ship. However, it being our fourth, we have come to expect a certain standard from Carnival. Well it isn't here. Although the ship is older (20 years), and much smaller than their newer ships, we expected the service to remain the same. Other than the Main Dining Room, which we found equal to the other ships, the staff on board was sparse, inattentive, and not all that freindly. They appeared to be simply "going through the motions". The pool bar service was essentially non-existant, and the pool bar (back deck) was not even opened although the ship was full.I want to give a specific example of what we experienced. We went on deck one afternoon for a "Salsa and Chips Party" described in a daily itinerary to be from 4:30-5:30 PM. There was no party, no acivitity staff, no festivity of any kind. It consisted of ONE bowl of Chips, with ONE bowl of salsa placed on a table by the pool. The chips were gone in five minutes, never to be replaced. When we questioned one of the wait staff, he laughed and told us to eat the crumbs at the bottom of the bowl.I do want to say that our ports of call were all great. We booked excusions at each port and found them to be well organized and of good value. We found friendly faces at all ports, had great weather, and aside from our disappointments on board, came home with lots of great memories.PS-Debarkation was smooth and orderly.