Always a good time on Royal Caribbean

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Jewel of the Seas

5 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: February 10, 2019

Ship: Jewel of the Seas

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 4023

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

Great value. Royal Caribbean is our preferred cruise line and I personally like the smaller boats. Looking back, I would have liked to have gone on a larger ship so that the grandkids would have had a better experience.

Embarkation

Outstanding. My wife and I are Gold level but we were traveling with our daughter's family and weren't sure if they would get to go through the priority boarding process with us. Not only were they allowed, RCCL put us into the Platinum line (which was completely empty) and we were on the boat in record time.

Ship experiences

The staff in the main dining room were great. Our waiter (Teeluck) and assistant waiter (Maria) went above and beyond. Our grandkids (ages 6 and 9) could not have been happier. The food in the Windjammer was so good, we almost went there for dinner.

My grandson, son-in-law, and I loved the rock climbing wall. The fitness center was well equipped. My only issue that we had was with the pools. The kiddie pool is only 1.5 feet and the adult pool was 6.5 feet. There was nothing in between for our 6 year old granddaughter to really play in. Not the end of the world, and it actually encouraged her to learn to swim.

Casino Royale

I normally enjoy going to the casino, but the smoke was so bad that I chose not to on this trip. There has to be a better way to satisfy both the smokers and the nonsmokers.

The outside entertainment (comedian and an Elvis impersonator) were very good. The onboard entertainers were just OK.

Our cabin steward (Lorene) was great. Our waitstaff in the dining room (Teeluck and Maria) were amazing.

The ship was spotless. It's an older boat but well maintained.

What can you say? We usually get an inside cabin because we don't spend much time there. It was spotless and well maintained.

Ship tip

Get out and explore the boat and meet new people. I'm 60 but I enjoy climbing the rock wall and loved climbing it side by side by side with my son-in-law and grandson.

Ports of call

Nassau was OK. We shop and walk and eat in the morning and then go to the beach.

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

Columbus beach was nice and we enjoyed the food at the pavilion.

Disembarkation

Seamless. The luggage was ready when we got off and the customs process was quick.