Great cruise on a classic ship.

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Jewel of the Seas

5 Night Western Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 13, 2019

Ship: Jewel of the Seas

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 1532

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We were generally pleased with the cruise. A few examples of less than lackluster crew friendliness, but more the exception than the norm. One of RC's older and smaller ships, but still has a modern feel.

Embarkation

The RC check in staff were particularly inept. We travelled with my parents, and they actually put my mother's picture on my father's seapass card, and vice versa. Created all sorts of issues while boarding the ship.

Ship experiences

We did not frequent the buffet often, but the food in the MDR was excellent. Chops, Giovanni's, and Izumi were all excellent.

It's a smaller ship, but still has all the RC classics like the Rock Climbing Wall.

RC Online

If I could give this a 0 I would. I guess technically more a review of their VOOM WiFi than RC online.... but I didn't see anywhere else to comment. I paid quite a bit of money for the "High Speed" streaming service, but using "Speed Test", never saw the connection higher than 0.5 Mbs!!!! Simple browsing took forever, the notion of using Facetime was impossible.

Next Cruise

The agent actually preferred to use my meager Platinum discount instead of taking advantage of an existing sale. Only about a $100 difference, but really?

The main production show was rather lack lister, but the headliner performer was quite good.

We continue to find room stewards to be hit or miss. All the room was well cleaned... when he eventually got there, simple things like replacing the shampoos after they were used were often overlooked. We do find the MDR waiter's to be consistently excellent, despite being clearly overworked.

Despite the age, the Jewel was actually in pretty good shape. Not as packed as an Oasis class ship, but also not as crowded.

As it was a Grand Suite, so obviously a very comfortable room, especially for only two people. Considering the age, the room was in pretty good shape. One complaint is that you're forced to take a shower in the dark. Not a huge issue, but one would think the designers could have arranged the room for better lighting.

Ports of call

Miami, Florida

Did not really visit anything outside the cruise terminal. The staff of the cruise terminal were pretty clueless.

We did the "Essential Nassau" bus tour which was really "ehhhh". The driver was really more interested in answering questions instead of simply pointing out and describing the areas of interest. Kinda lazy in my opinion. The "tour" was also more about taking people to places to buy stuff then really anything of historical or scenic value. The "Rum Cake Factory" was just an unsanitary hole in the wall shop where they sold rum cake. I don't even know why I bothered to get out of the van. The rum distillery stop was better, but still primarily about selling overpriced bottles of rum.

Labadee (Cruise Line Private Island)

We were in a suite, so honestly we never left Barefoot beach. Considering how small the Jewel is, and how few suites there are, the beach also seemed empty for us. Obviously as a captive market, all of the excursions are waaaayyy overpriced. However, if you simply want to use it as a relaxing beach day, it was excellent.

Disembarkation

This is really due to the port of Miami, and less due to the Jewel. Retrieving the luggage was a headache, despite being one of the first off the ship.

1 Comment