Peaceful Southern Caribbean Cruise

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Jewel of the Seas

7 Night Southern Caribbean (San Juan Roundtrip)

Sail date: April 08, 2018

Ship: Jewel of the Seas

Cabin type: Inside

Cabin number: 3645

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

I would definitely do this cruise again. It was relaxing and wonderful.

Embarkation

The embarkation experience was fast and efficient. We had one item confiscated, but they were very polite and helpful with explanations on why and where to pick up after we returned from our trip.

Ship experiences

Most of the food was wonderful. The very few experiences I had that were not 100% to my satisfaction were either quickly addressed or the reality of attempting to serve 1000's of people at once in a small space of time.

I'm rating this 5 stars, but truthfully, I didn't experience many of the activities by my own choice. What I did see/do was exceptional.

I only went to one performance and that was the mystery dinner theater. It was funny, but corny and led to a lot of laughs with my group. We were able to get a couple of the actors to laugh with us so that was also fun.

The Pit Shop

This turned out to be our bar of choice on this cruise. While we're not sports fans, the bar was rarely crowded, the noise level was low enough that we could hear each other talking, and we watched a couple of sports we knew nothing about (fencing and cricket) while we were relaxing. Glenn knew his drinks and was happy to help us with new selections.

Movie Screen

The outdoor movie screen was a joke. You're unable to see the screen from one whole side of the pool deck because of obstacles. They were constantly playing music over the movie sound track so it was next to impossible to hear what was being said (the subtitles didn't help). My husband loves watching movies on deck - he quit after just one try.

Library

I liked that they had a lot of books to choose from. I did not like that the library was located right next to pool tables. It is really hard to concentrate on reading with balls bouncing off each other and people laughing about the games they are playing.

We loved our room steward, Clare, and our Tides waiters, Menino and Ketut. The Pit Stop bartender, Glenn, always had a smile for us.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much space the common areas seemed to have. Moving through the bars and lounges, it didn't feel claustrophobic like some ships I've been on. In some areas, there was enough room for 4 people to walk side by side without bumping into each other. There were areas where you can tell that the ship needs to be rehabbed (some of the public restrooms had a smell), but overall, it was a good experience.

Ports of call

San Juan, Puerto Rico

We did not do any organized excursions in Puerto Rico. If you have time, we highly suggest eating at either restaurants - Lima or Casita Miramar - in the Miramar district. Both have wonderful food and we cannot stress how wonderful both establishments were.

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

We did not dock at the port we were expecting to, as such, we had to take a taxi to our destination (when we thought we would be able to walk). We did the Sky Ride to Paradise Point. The view is breathtaking, the ride smooth and comfortable, the food excellent. If we had not had to take a taxi, we might have stayed in the area longer and viewed more sites than we did.

Basseterre, St. Kitts

We went to the beach here - I'm sorry, I don't remember which one. It was not the one that everyone of the taxi's were directing us to. We had wanted to go to Shipwreck Bar, but they closed down 3 weeks before we arrived due to the land being bought out - the beach we went to was just down the shoreline from there. The water was wonderful, but a bit chilly, we had an excellent view of Nevis, and the beach staff was friendly and accommodating.

St. John's, Antigua

We did not leave the shopping area that is just outside the dock area. We went with fellow passengers to "The Big Banana" (a pizza bar they had visited 20 years prior) and walked around the shops. The pizza and shop owners were wonderful. Fighting through the onslaught of tour guides and taxi drivers insisting on taking us somewhere else was exhausting. This was the worst port for this as all of the other ports had these people outside of the main terminal area.

Castries, St. Lucia

We did the Rainforest Canopy Tour - it was breathtaking! I would do this again in a heartbeat! The breeze was cool and refreshing, our guide knowledgeable, and the tour peaceful (except for the occasional holler from the zipline tour).

Bridgetown, Barbados

We did the Mount Gay rum tour and beach excursion. We were pleasantly surprised at how much rum they gave us to sample (we had 4 shots before the tour was over - they offered another 2 that we declined). The rum is delicious and the history exciting. Our young bus driver gave us an extra tour of the city due to timing and took us up to the college that was on a high peak where we could get pictures of the port and island. While it rained on us off and on throughout the time we were on shore, it was brief each time and did not dampen our day. The beach wasn't as warm as it could have been (due to the rain), but the water was fun, the sand fine and soft to walk on.

Disembarkation

Our disembarkation was fast and uneventful. Customs took longer than it has at other ports, but nothing that couldn't be dealt with.