Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Terrible experience on board the Jewel of the Sea

Sail Date: March 28, 2015

Having cruised with Royal Caribbean before I had a certain expectations. While I understand mistakes happen and things can go wrong, there is no excuse for some of the issues. First we decided to get a balcony room instead of an ocean view like on our first cruise. When we arrived we had an obstructed view. No where on Royal Caribbean's website or at no time was I told by anyone that our room would be an obstructed view.

Second, we signed up for the My Time dining. When we went to go to dinner we were told we needed to make a reservation, which was weird since it's my time dining. So when we tried to make a reservation for the next day we were told that since there was (7) seven of us we could only get an 8:30 pm seating. (not sure how this constitutes My Time dining). We did take the 8:30 pm reservation since it was a formal night. When we arrived they didn't have a table for us so they set up a table for us right in the middle of the walkway at the top of the stairs, so, everyone walking up and down the stairs bumped into our table.

Third, the soda dispenser was almost always out of product. There were only a coupe drinks available throughout the whole cruise. So my girlfriends daughter went to cancel her soda package because she couldn't get what she drinks and the desk person at customer service gave her a hard time about it.

Fourth, we usually ate in the WIndjammer for breakfast but decided to go to the main dining room for breakfast one morning. Breakfast started out bad from the beginning. When we walked in we were told that they can only seat (6) six of us. I ask why and she tells us again she can only seat six of us. After multiple attempts I am told that I have to change my shirt. Not sure why since I was wearing a normal T-shirt. So I went back to my cabin and put on a polo shirt. Once I returned we ordered breakfast. It took 40 minutes for our breakfast to be delivered and everyone's food was actually cold, but one of the people in our groups didn't come out. I asked the waiter where it was and he said "it will be out in a little bit an omlette takes 25-30 minutes to make. First off as a certified chef and a member of the American Culinary Federation I know that's not true. After another 15 minutes of her meal not arriving, I asked a different waiter to look into it. He came out with her food and told us that someone grabbed the wrong meal and they had to remake the one that didn't come out. In the restaurant business that is not how it's done. When something happens you remake everything and bring out everyone's food at the same time, hot. Not part of the meal cold and bring the other meal 15 minutes later when everyone else is done eating.

Finally, we even had one of the crew argue with one of the people in our group that they mixed up the cream for the coffee with the half and half. I'm sorry but that is wrong. They should have checked it to see if someone switched them by mistake, not argue and tell us we are wrong.

I finally did go to the customer service desk to complain about the numerous issues we faced. I was offered a bottle of champagne for my troubles. I passed as I had paid for the Premium drink package and could get all I wanted at the bar. The customer service rep tried to get us an earlier seating, which he was able to but by this point no one in our party wanted anything to do with the dining room as it had been terrible to begin with.

I don't usually complain about things, I understand things happen. But the amount of things that happen and the complete lack of professionalism was just too much. It is unfortunate that our experience on Royal Caribbean was so bad. I have always preached to my friends that they should go on a Royal Caribbean cruise because of the experience I had on my first Royal Caribbean cruise. Unfortunately that's not the case any more.

bad smell in the halls of the ship
Descent selection in the buffet
Staff were at times rude and argumentative
Great islands
Has an obstructed view and it had a not so pleasant smell.

1 Comment