Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Room for improvement

Sail Date: April 23, 2012

The decor is beautiful. This ship has a solarium with a pool and jacuzzi with a surrounding rainforest decor. Absolutely stunning! It's for 16 and older and a nice quiet place to relax. We were in a balcony cabin and it was very roomy and kept clean at all times. However, if you are going for the food I would choose another ship. The dining room menu was small and the food was not that good. In the Windjammer cafe (alternate dining) the same thing was served every day with the exception of the carving station which changed daily. I am a big salad eater and they put out the same 3 or 4 salads daily. The bartenders were not interactive like most Royal Caribbean cruises we have been on. At the pool bar, I asked for an ashtray and I was told there were none. Really? None? I think he was too lazy to go get me one. Later that day I asked again for an ash tray at the pool bar and the bartender gave me someone's empty beer can to use.

We wanted to see the west side of the island as we had heard it was beautiful. When consulting with the Explorer desk about shore excursions in Cozumel we were told there were none that went to this side of the island. We booked the island tour and shopping excursion which lo and behold went to the west side of the island. This part of the island is far prettier than the east side where the cruise ship is docked. We had a great lunch at a locals restaurant with fresh guacamole, tostadas, garlic steamed shrip and margaritas. It was nice to finally get some good food from what we were offered on the ship!

Room service was typically 30+ minute wait, which is the norm on Royal Caribbean from our experience. We were traveling with my mom and dad who ordered coffee one morning and received 2 carafes full of hot water. The room service staff did however apologize and sent mom and dad a nice hor dourve platter and chocolates.

Pros: This was a beautiful ship as far as the decor. Out of the 20-some cruises we have taken this was the prettiest ship.

Cons: What we liked the least was the food. It was the same thing in the Windjammer Cafe every day with the exception of a few small changes. The menu in the dining room was small and not your typical elegant cruise ship fare. Beef was the main entree nightly.

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? No.