Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Terrific Experience

Sail Date: November 21, 2011

This was my third cruise with my wife and the first with our two children, ages 8 and 15. Overall we had a terrific experience and this is a very family friendly ship. Parking and getting into the cruise terminal, the boarding, the cruise itself and the return to port was all as smooth as it could possibly be. Like others have said even with the ship completely full of passengers you never feel crowded. There's always a seat or lounge chair to be had and there is plenty for the family to do. Our teenager enjoyed hanging out at "Fuel" - the place for teen activities but our 8 year old did not want to go back to the children's program. His age group was 6-8 year old's and he felt the games and activities were too babyish for him. I heard that from some other parents too but I think their programs are fine. Our ports of call experiences were excellent as well and very easy and safe for the family. We went to the national marine park at Cozumel and did the dolphin experience which exceeded our expectations! We also did the Mayan ruins tour at Costa Maya and enjoyed it but it's an hour drive both ways so you probably should note that. On both days at sea the winds were 45+ mph and the boat did rock. My wife and I experience sea sickness the first day but after taking Bonine we felt better. If you like shows, eating quality food, highly organized activities, a clean and safe environment then this is your cruise.

Pros: Friendly and Highly Professional Staff, Quality of Activities, The Food, Being on Time

Cons: Sea Sickness

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!

Perfect size, beautiful ship, super clean everywhere
My time dining and the windjammer cafeteria - perfect combination.
It's a cabin so it's going to be small but four of us fit with no issues at all in an interior cabin.
Cannot say enough good things - these people have it right.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
The cruise line has built a port full of shops. Vendors in Cozumel and Costa Maya sell pretty much the same stuff and at the same prices.
Chankanaab National Park - a must if you want an excellent beach experience, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins. You can get rent your snorkeling gear for $5 per person if you haggle - there are five vendors to rent from. Go the one that is second from last.