Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Jewel Ultimate Southern Caribbean Cruise

Sail Date: April 01, 2011

This Southern Caribbean itinerary had a good mix of port and sea days. Two sea days at the beginning and then no more than one between the remaining ports. Fuel prices have clearly affected the onboard offerings. Food selection was not as varied of of the quantity that is customary on Royal Caribbean. The crew appeared to be tired of the Caribbean and were all ready for the 5 day dry dock that was to follow this cruise. They were all saying "No more passengers for a week!" The dry dock is probably due. Although the ship generally appeared to be in good condition, it could use a good deep cleaning. There is also a clear and unpleasant plumbing problem, which is common on Radiance Class ships, in the Windjammer. Both watiers stations on the sides of the dining area emitted strong overpowering sewer odors. The production entertainment on the ship were very good, but most of the guest entertainers were only mediocre. In fact, during one performance, the members of the orchestra were constantly yawning and rolling their eyes. One clear disappointment on this crruise was my stateroom attendant. She clearly wanted her guests out of their cabins early so she could get them cleaned and she could get on with her day. I am generally up early, but one sea day, after a particularly late night of enjoying the entertainment, I left my Do Not Disturb sign out and didn't leave my cabin until nearly 11. She called me twice to see "if I was ok". The stateroom attendant responsible for the next section of staterooms apologized for her and said that she does that frequently. I must say that what my stateroom attendant lacked in customer service skills, the "next" attendant who I spoke to frequently, certainly made up for. The Cruise Director's staff was good. I must comment Activities Manager Frankie. He went out of his way to speak to everyone he encountered and always made you feel like an old friend. Although I am a Diamon Plus cruiser with RCI, the Cruise Director wasn't as friendly unless he recognized you from a previous cruise, although this was my third cruise with him in the last 14 months. Overall this was a good cruise with a good itinerary.

Pros: Good mix of port days and sea days

Cons: Crew was obviously tired of the Caribbean itineraries

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!

I tend to prefer the Radiance Class ships for their size and comfort. Although the Jewel is still in relatively good condition, the ship could use a good deep cleaning.
Food quality and selection had certainly declined over the past year or two, but given current fuel prices, the cuts are understandable.
The ships production crew were very good. The guest entertainers were only average. Royal Caribbean needs to mix up the guest entertainers a little. I was on a transatlantic cruise 6 months ago with the same entertainment presented on this cruise.