A great winter getaway

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

6 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 04, 2007
Ship: Jewel of the Seas
This was my 2nd cruise on Jewel. When I first traveled on her in 2005 (on my then-8th cruise) I thought she was the perfect ship. Second time around, I came away with the same conclusion. Unlike other ships, I found the layout to be completely intuitive. Extremely easy to find your way around, lots of visual cues to immediately orient you to port, starbord, forward, aft, etc. And she's absolutely beautiful. Where RCL's Freedom-class ships feel much too big for me, Jewel and the Radiance-class ships feel "perfect."
Folks seem to love Cozumel, but it's not my favorite port. We had bad weather the day we docked, which didn't help my attitude this time.
Most ships are in port here only 7am-2pm, so it's not the best time of day to see Key West, which comes to life late in the day. Jewel had prime docking location (at the Hyatt pier), so no need for taxis or shuttles -- just hop off and go!
This was my 3rd trip to Cayman, and I just love it. Pretty, clean, recovering well from Hurricane Ivan, and the snorkeling is first rate
Don't Miss: Stingray City!
Don't Miss: Stingray City!
In hindsight, I should have taken a trip to one of the Mayan ruins sites. Instead I got conned into spending the day at Costa Maya itself, with promises of elegant shopping and beautiful beaches. No such thing. The port had the equivalent of a run-down mini mall, a flea market, and a pool being shared by 3 mega ships at once. This port is totally skip-able.

Pros: the ship and its staff

Cons: evening performances

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!