Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean

Lots of Laughs. Scary excursions

Sail Date: October 28, 2008

We had a stateroom with a good sized balcony which was immaculate and comfortable. The ship was clean and well run. I didn't like that there was smoking allowed in most lounges, we felt as though we missed out on some things due to that. They did have some smoke free nights in the casino, but the adjacent sports bar was smoking so it was still smoky. We has a fantastic excursion in St Thomas on the Castaway girl which was a lot of fun. In Aruba we had an awful excursion snorkeling on the Pelican (I think that was the name) they didn't have enough masks for everyone, once we got that sraightened out they only gave us ten minutes in the water where we saw a lot of beautiful fish and would've liked to stay longer. Then they took us to a shipwreck that was in really rough water and you couldn't see anything. The current was so bad they were rescuing people. Then there was a terrible lunch and beach stop that was too short as well. We also hit bad weather coming out of Boston that made us all afraid that we were in danger. We had forty foot swells and 100+ mile per hour winds, but the captain was great and handled it well.

Pros: Dinner at Portofinos was amazing.

Cons: Smoking on the ship in lounges and the casino which caused us to miss out on a lot of activities

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!

Most of the ship was very clean, but the outside area behind the windjammer where we liked eating was kind of neglected compared to the rest of the ship.
We had the second seating for dinner and were not actually served dinner until 9pm or later, too late for us. Next time we'd do the early seating. The speacialty restaurants were very good. Portofinos was outstanding.
I was not impressed with the cruise director. Often they would list an entertainer in the compass with no description of what they did. I took some exercise classes wghich were good, but I would've prefered yoga not be in the center of the gym on the 13th floor since it was hard to balance and distracting. They should consider a yoga room. I also would have liked it offered more then three times on a ten day trip.
Although small (but aren't they all), our stateroom was very clean and comfortable. I would recommend a balcony, which helped it feel less cramped. Beds were very comfortable.
Some staff in particular stood out, Dillip our drinks waiter and also our assistant waiter went out of the way for us.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
I've been there twice, the first time to Trunk Bay in St John, which was beautiful, and the second on the Castaway Girl II for snorkeling in Shipwreck Cove, which was fun because of the crew on the excursion.
Don't Miss: St John. Trunk Bay!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
We were only there for an evening on Halloween, but it was really great. We had very good drinks at the birthplace of the Pina Colada, and saw flamingo dancers in the courtyard of an old hotel that was beautiful. I can't remember the names. The old fort is interesting too.
Don't Miss: Probably the fort
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Don't Miss: St John. Trunk Bay!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Don't Miss: Probably the fort
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Pinel Island is gorgeous, but too far from the ship. We just went right off the boat to the closest beach and ate at "The Blue Bitch Bar" which was clean and delicious! We had ribs and fried plantains which were reasonably priced.
Don't Miss: Pinel Island if you can get there. I also like Dawn Beach, but it can be rough surf there.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Oranjestad, Aruba
Though i like Aruba, the excursion was awful. Just go to the Divi beach, or by the Hotels. We used to go to a place called Papiamentos which has excellent food. Senior Frogs was obnoxious and ridiculously priced, go there if you like paying too much and loud obnoxious places!
Don't Miss: Just relax at the beach, snorkeling near the lighthouse is beautiful, just don't take the Pelican tour!
Oranjestad, Aruba