Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

An Interesting Experience!

Sail Date: February 04, 2007

We recently sailed on the Jewel of the Seas to Mexico and Grand Cayman. This was our second cruise. Our first experience on Royal Carribbean could not have been any more perfect. Everything about the cruise was sensational, from the ports, to the weather to the food and service to the stateroom, which is why we were so excited to take our second!
However, our second cruise came up a little short of the first - but not because of anything to do with Royal Carribbean - as everything on the ship was fantastic. I have to say that the staff on these ships really stand out! They make things fun and enjoyable and upbeat! The food,service and entertainment(for the most part, there were a couple of stumbing points, for instance Guest Relations people were not very helpful) were great.
I was not as happy with the itinerary, because on my previous cruise I did not need to tender at any of the ports. I do not care for that, as well as not caring for the Mexican ports very much. A little dirtier and less appealing then some of the other locations I had visisted on my first cruise.
The weather also for the first two days was horrific. The boat was literally pitching from side to side. An entire light panel from the mezzanine snapped off and fell into the audience during the show. So, it was a little scarey, which did not add to the experience.
But overall, I would say it was a nice cruise, just not as nice as my first!

Pros: I loved the Cayman Island water

Cons: I did not like the rough seas and boat rocking back and forth

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!

Even though I chose a balcony, I thought the room was too small. Next time I would definitely choose a junior suite. The smell in the bathroom at times was a little strong. And one night the sheets smelled strong and strange, as well. Also, the amount and quality of the towels was ridiculously bad.
Quality of the ship was good, but not as a nice and not as clean as the Sovereign of the Seas
I only ate in Portofino for my main dining. I do not eat in the regular dining room, as the food in Portofino is so outstanding that I had to eat there every night. The food in the Windjammer was also very good and consistent.
The food, beverage, entertainment and stateroom staff were amazing!!! Helpful, nice, fun and upbeat. I felt that the one area that needed help was Guest Relations. They seemed to be untrained, and, at times, kind of rude.
The entertainment and activities were top notch! Outstanding! Bobby the cruise director was fantastic!
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
I didn't care for Costa Maya. The port was alright...nothing special. And the smell at the pool area was kind of strong.
Key West, Florida
The Keys seemed nice, but it was really cold and rainy, so I didn't enjoy it like I could have if the weather was nice.
I didn't really care for Cozumel. I think had the weather, again, been nicer, and we were able to go on the tour that we paid $200 for and wasn't able to go on because the sea was so rough and we were supposed to take a ferry to Xcaret, I am sure we would have enjoyed it more. We couldn't take the ferry because my husband had been seasick from the previous night's issues with the sea being rough, so we couldn't chance him getting ill again on the ferry, so we ended up forfeiting our excursion and losing the money.
George Town, Grand Cayman
We had a tour planned with a cruise around the island that got cancelled due to mechanical problems with the boat, so that part of our excursion was cancelled. So we were just taken to the beach...which was disorganized, over-crowded and not that great. The lunch that was provided was horrible and you could not eat it. And because the cruise part was cancelled they only allowed us 21/2 hours at the beach, which, even though the water was very nice, was too short. It seemed by the time we got there, it was time to leave.
George Town, Grand Cayman