RCCL Always Wonderful!

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

6 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: February 04, 2007
Ship: Jewel of the Seas
Check-in was easy. We did everything on-line and pretty much walked right through. There was a sign for SeaPass and no line at the check-in counter! Perfect!

This was our first cruise on a RCCL ship of this size. Still quite big and they manage to get everything of importance in!

We had really rough sees from Key West to Cozumel. They had to cancel the late seating dinner midway through and the late show because the dancers were falling everywhere. The rough seas didn't bother us but I can imagine it scared some. They put on a matinee on the last day of the cruise so people could see the show they missed. I thought that was great!

The cruise director was fine. I wouldn't give him an A+ but he was funny and kept the crowd entertained.

We spent a lot of time at the SeaView Cafe. I liked the food very much, especially for a late snack. It did get very, very busy during lunch but the food still came pretty quickly. Yummy! I love Nathan's hot dogs

We did the Mystery Dinner at Portofinos! The dancers put on a great show and the dinner - filet - was absolutely out of this world. And I do mean, out of this world, mouth watering! I thought it was kinda pricey, $50.00/person, but my husband didn't. No matter the price, it was worth it!

Mi Hai at the Pit Stop was nice but a little moody and often seemed to give too much information about RCCL workings. Our two very favorite staff members on the cruise were Marcelena for Tides table 496 and Odell at the Sky Bar. Marcelena was sweet as pie, she kept us company with her boyfriend Alex in Costa Maya. Two very, very nice people. Odell is the bartendar at the Sky Bar and he is amazing! What a funny guy! He can make the best Mojito in the world, honestly. Visit him!

Windjammer was good - lots of variety! And Tides was good. The usual good dinners at both!

We only spent a couple of hours in the Solarium for a nap and a quick bite. The green chairs by the windows were a little uncomfortable for me because the cushion was getting thin but the chairs by the pool - heaven! I also liked that I was able to grab a quick slice of pizza or hot dog there instead of walking somewhere else. FYI... the pool is open to children for certain hours of the day if the weather is crappy.

BINGO - I played every single day and got a T-shirt. That's the extent of my winnings

Several computers that we tried to use for the internet were broken. No biggie. We just moved around until we found one.

I had a delicious raspberry coffee at Seattle's. I only went because I had a coupon - I was up all night though, haha. They give a free pastry with purchase - I needed that like I needed a hole in the head

I only have two "real" complaints...

One, the comforter on my bed was gross. There were stains on both sides. That thing stayed far away from me and on the floor every single night. Yuck.

Two, not enough room in some areas for certain activities. The Quest took place in the Safari Club and there was absolutely no where to sit. We grabbed two seats on the upper level by the bar and everybody stood in front of us. We couldn't see anything and that was a real bummer considering we got there early to make sure we could see.

The Vortex has weird seating. On the popular 70's night you couldn't get a seat anywhere and the bar seats are spread out too much. And the couch seating was mostly on the lower level so everybody stood in front of us on the upper level -- we couldn't people watch.

That's really it for things that bummed me out.

Overall, RCCL gave us yet another amazing vacation!

It was cold and windy the day we went. There wan't much to see. We did go to the Aquarium and walk around for a bit.
For us, this port was perfect! We grabbed beach chairs, had some drinks, swam in the pool and watched all the silly contests! Perfect! We did not hit the shops.

Pros: Relaxing by the Pool

Cons: Lack of room for some activities

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!