a great first experience

Jewel of the Seas

Sail Date: October 01, 2006

Ship: Jewel of the Seas

Review Summary

I had no idea what to expect when i boarded the ship for my first time but was impressed from the minute i stepped aboard. Very clean and the staff worked deligently to keep up the appearance of the ship throughout our vacation.

Ship Experiences

I was not impressed with the quality of the food. All i have ever heard about cruises is the unbelievable quality of food that is served. I would say that the windjammer is one stiep above the quality of college cafeteria food. Dinner was better but not the quality I expected although it was nice that you were allowed to order more than one main course. The ship definately needs more late night areas open that serve food later than 1 am.

lots of activies on the itinery to keep you busy throughout the trip.

The staff was very heloful but not as friendly I think they should have been. They were tipped an automatic 15% gratuity on all tabs and i think this was a huge cause of the poor service we received. The staff was hard to conversate with but were willing to meet our other needs.

I found the ship to be easy to navigate around and the layout to be convenient to all of our needs. The only disappointment i had was that the pools were smaller than I had expected and there were not enough hot tubs. We had to wait everytime for a hot tub to become available for at least a half an hour of more. All areas of the ship had 5 star cleanliness.

Our stateroom was smaller than i thought it would be but it was my first cruise so not much to compare it too. I would suggest getting a room with a balcony for better air circulation. I was congested every morning.

Pros: Plenty of activites to keep you occupied even at the end of october.

Cons: pool bars closed too early and not enough late night eateries open past 1 am. Also, my party felt as though the staff service was not as good as it should have been.