Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

One bad apple....

Sail Date: October 01, 2009

The Jewel Of The Seas is truly a JEWEL. She is grand and beautiful in every detail. Our stateroom was spacious, beautiful and comfortable. The food in both the Tides and Windjammer was delicious and the waitstaff in the dining areas were always friendly and helpful. The activities onboard were spaced so that we could enjoy everything that interested us and were a lot of fun. We laughed until our sides ached. The Cruise Director and Asst Cruise Director did a wonderful job hosting the events. Their good humor and endless energy were much enjoyed. The photographers did a great job with photos and we have precious pics together thanks to them. The "bad apple" during our trip was a waitress (and her Manager) at the poolside bar on the eve of the midnight buffet. I purchased a souvenir cup at a stand near the pool and asked if I could get a drink in that cup. (There was a display of beer and alcohol on the table so I thought it would be an acceptable request.) The attendant did not have the makings for my requested drink, so he asked a waitress walking by to do it. She did not seem happy to do so and when she returned she would not accept payment for the drink, she said, "it's free". The drink, I later found out, had the plastic wrap from the tall souvenir glass stuffed into the bottom of the cup. The ice and drink had been poured over it. When the ice had melted and my straw struck the plastic, I was shocked. This was unsanitary, unsafe and clearly intentional. I took the cup to the poolside bar and asked to speak to the Manager. The Manager called the waitress over and when the plastic was pulled up from the glass...clearly the tall wrapping from the cup. She laughed out loud. She was the only one laughing, I can assure you. The Manager did not know what to say or do other than take the cup from me and ask someone else to bring a fresh drink. This one arrived from a smiling waiter without plastic, but I was left feeling very sickened by the experience. The Manager walked away and the waitress continued to serve passengers drinks. I went to my cabin for the night feeling very confused as to why someone would do such an unkind thing to a passenger and why a Manager would allow waitstaff that would do such a thing to continue to serve his guests? The Manager clearly did not find this behavior as unsanitary, dangerous, and offensive as I did. I have taken the time to share this experience and would very much appreciate someone taking the time to respond to me on this matter. Thank you.

Pros: The fun activities - "Quest" was soooo fun!

Cons: An unpleasant and unsanitary experience at the Poolside Bar

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? No.

I mustrate this area as "poor" due to my extremely negative experience with the Waitress and Manager at the Poolside Bar the night of the Midnight Buffet.