Island Princess Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

A fabulous birthday cruise!

Sail Date: October 01, 2009

The ship was beautiful and well maintained.

Pros: Wonderful staff

Cons: The nickel and dime charges

Recommends Island Princess? Yes!

I am allergic to wheat & gluten and contacted the cruise line before departure to let them know about my dietary needs. They did a remarkable job of catering to my every dining experience. Every night the wait staff would bring me the following days menu so I could select my meal choices. The chefs would then prepare my food without wheat & gluten, (not always an easy thing to do and still have food that tastes good). They even had gluten free bread and pasta and.... each night a special dessert was prepared for me because most of the dessert choices were made with with ingredients I could not consume. They went above and beyond. I would have loved to take them home with me to help with my menu planning.
We tried the optional dining room one evening. The wait staff was attentive, courteous and very accommodating. The food choices were plentiful and the presentation was lovely but the food itself fell short. We did not think it was worth the extra fee charged to eat there.