Bad bad food

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: December 01, 2012
Ship: Independence of the Seas
My previous sailing with Royal was 10 yrs back and food quality has significantly gone down. Even today I remember the excellent meals from Royal Caribbean decade ago cruise and this is a total contrast to it\, food wise. Ship is newer\, clean\, entertainment was outstanding but Id not recommend this ship or royal Caribbean to anyone due to their food quality\, which is a big part of cruising for most cruisers.

I didnt use their onshore excursions which is expensive for a family of 4. We made our own independent booking for ex\, we rented a car from Hertz in St Maarten and toured the island freely.

Their specialty\, Portofino restaurant food quality was similar to that of Olive garden and this is $20/person. the wait to be seated (despite the reservation) and the wait between courses was unacceptably long. Enough that we requested for the main course to be packed and sent to the room\, with the desert. And we were there from 8 pm till 9.45 pm!! What started out as a special evening turned sour due to this - Additionally kid's club was closing at 10 pm so we ended up leaving without finishing the dinner.The appetizer risotto was nice but everything else after it was mediocre. Thiramisu base reeked of cheap rum

Coming to the main dining room its several notches below the Portofino\, which I compared it to Olive garden earlier The kicker is\, food served in the main dining room is also served in the buffet. Raviolis were doughy (I have never tasted raviolis that were this bad. It was a new low)\, chicken breast bland with no seasoning\, nacho chips thats no longer crispy\, guacamole that turned brown\, Indian dishes made by Chefs with little understanding of the cooking process (curry powders thrown in and not cooked well\, so it tasted bitter). Butter chicken was made without heavy cream\, which is a big component of it it was basically tomato paste from the can thrown in with leftover chicken from lunch earlier that day (I could easily make that out)

The kids club counsellors were the mostly younger people. I didn't see any affection or warm handling. they were there to do a job - this is the perception i gathered.

Pros: Entertainment

Cons: Food

Recommends Independence of the Seas? No.