Independence of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

"A fabulous cruise!"

Sail Date: March 01, 2009

We sailed on the Independence of the Seas on March 1, 2009 to March 7, 2009, I also sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas a few years prior and walked away very impressed, but I must admit that the Independence was 10 times better! when you first step onto the ship you are instantly in awe by its beauty, from the staircases to the ceilings everything on the ship was so unique and different, I don't know who the interior decorator was but I sure wish that we could get them over my house so that he can help me decorate my place, even though we stole some of there ideas just by being on the ship LOL. The destinations that we cruised to were Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel, I wasn't too fond of Costa Maya at all! Its just a piece of land that Royal Caribbean put some worthless stores on that sell costume jewelry, cups and t-shirts thats it LOL, I don't recommend Costa Maya for a cruise stop, we were out there maybe for 2 hours and we were ready to get back onto the ship, but when we did get back on the ship we were back in paradise. The ship holds over 3000 passengers but the ship is so huge it never seems overly crowded, and the staff that they have working on the ship is so professional and nice, and they have the nerve to remember your name by only seeing you once, don't tell me how they do that, and its not because I'm African American either, they remember everyones name. If you ever cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship, please don't be cheap to yourself, get yourself a balcony room! I walked passed the other rooms without a balcony and there's no comparison and plus they give you a 62 sq. ft. balcony, you know what you can do on that at night, use your imagination LOL!

Pros: I loved the broadway shows

Cons: I hated the stores inside the ship, they don't sell items that you would want and they are overpriced LOL

Recommends Independence of the Seas? Yes!

The size and beauty of the ship is an instant eye catcher, I never took a cruise on Carnival, but looking at the three ships that I seen of Carnivals compared to the Independence of the Seas, it's like comparing a 1982 Cutlass to a 2009 Escalade from the outside, seriously, I will never cruise Carnival after seeing that LOL.
The food was wonderful, we dined at all the restaurants from Johnny Rockets, to Portofino's and Chops, I think Chops was my favorite, it was worth the extra money, but to tell you the truth I would have been just as happy at the main seating dining room where the food was free! It was very very nice and beautiful, that's what you call fine dining, it makes me wish that I was rich so that I can always dine like that, they really take good care of you.
Never cruise without a balcony, it makes the trip so much better, for a couple more hundred dollars, I know the economy is bad, but if you're going to vacation my motto is to do it right, it's very roomy and clean also with great bedding, Im very picky about the bedding too, the sheets were very soft, at least a 350 thread count LOL.
I'm 31 now and I've been on quite a few vacations, but I never had a more friendlier and helpful staff that I experienced on the Independence, my favorite bartender was Glenroy though, on deck 14 at Olives and Twist, he's Jamaican and he really knows how to make a drink!
The shows that they have on the ship are really nice, I really enjoyed every performance, I wish they had did a show on Wednesday at my time there, they took that day off, I was really impressed.