Holiday (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

My First Cruise, but Not My Last

Sail Date: August 20, 2009

This was my first cruise (on any ship) on the M/S Holiday. I loved every minute of it. I know that passengers are the reason for the cruises, but the staff was extraordinary. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. Our port-of-call was Cozumel, we had a wonderful time ashore - next time we will not go with a planned cruise, but just hire a taxi and visit some of the Mayan Ruins. The food was delicious. And waiters actually did act as if we mattered! We didn't get to see many of the onboard events because of the smoking. That surprised me. Smoking on deck - yes... but also smoking in the Lounges was allowed. Since my boyfriend and I are both very allergic to cigarette smoke, that meant we couldn't visit the Lounges or attend evening shows. No dancing, which I was really anticipating! We did find one area with a one man band (in one of the walk ways) and got to enjoy his music and even a couple dances.

Pros: Everyone was so very friendly and helpful

Cons: Smoking in the Lounges and evening events

Recommends Holiday (RETIRED)? Yes!

First time, so we didn't know what to expect. We really wanted to visit the Mayan Ruins, so took a day trip that included Ruins. The Ruins were disappointing (only one small location) but the cruise was great - sight seeing, swimming, snorkelling. Later we found out that there are over thirty Mayan Ruin sites near Cozumel. So, if we go back, we will get a map, rent a taxi and do our own tour.