Holiday (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Holiday is being retired. It's time!

Sail Date: September 01, 2009

Considering this is a 25 yr old ship, it's obvious it has lived it's glory days. Even with a reported "renovation," it's still obviously outdated. For a first time cruiser, like my sister who went with me, it was a great thing. Nothing to compare it to, and yes, you would think it was the best thing next to peanut butter and jelly. But if you HAVE cruised before on another cruiseline, this ship would definitely be a disappointment. The good news is that the ship is being retired in November, so not many more will have the chance to see what I'm talking about.

Pros: The shore excursions

Cons: The boat

Recommends Holiday (RETIRED)? No.

Clearly outdated, visible rust, yellow toilet water (Yes, I said YELLOW), dents, divets, stains etc. It was also very hard to navigate around. If you wanted to go to a certain place you had to go up one floor, walk a ways, then walk down again, go up again, go down again. All very confusing. Many people complaining about being LOST again. I will say that I always saw crew members cleaning public areas, so it wasn't really dirty.
The dining room is the place to eat on this ship. There is a buffet upstairs for "anytime" eating, but the food is no better than something you could get at a casino buffet. The room service food left quite a big to be disired. The desserts were all pretty bad.
Typical sized staterooms. There was only one plug in for electric items, so if you have more than a curling iron and phone to charge, you have to time them right. There was an old bizarre screen printing in front of a light of a mythical fish, that was coming out of the holder. The beds were reasonably comfortable, but you could tell they had been slept in quite a bit as they sunk down in the middle. The sheets were very nice and soft.
I wish I could give an excellent rating to some and a failing rating to others. The cruise director was a complete irritation, yelling "WOOHOO" over the intercom at least 9 or 10 times a day. (Don't try to nap on this boat!) The embarkation process was a cluster*&^% of chaos with no direction from staff.
Two or three shows, a comic, a juggler, lots of bingo, karaoke (which they should limit to adults only!) etc. Nothing very original and nothing that made me want to cancel laying around in the sun to go attend.