Holiday (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great cruise!

Sail Date: August 29, 2009

We knew that this was one of the smaller ships in the Carnival fleet, but it sure did not feel that way. It was very well kept and clean. It was a very cheerful environment with a crew that was professional and friendly. It did not feel crowded at all.

Pros: The food of course!

Cons: Not enough activities

Recommends Holiday (RETIRED)? Yes!

The ship was very clean and well maintained. There was always an open lounge chair on deck, so it did not seem crowded. The hallways connect frequently, so everything was easily accessible. The only thing that I didn't like about the layout was where the Seven Seas dining room was, it seemed cut off from the rest of the ship and was more difficult to get to.
The food in the formal dining room was great and we enjoyed it every night. There were always new items on the menu to try, yet they kept some consistent items, like the flat iron steak that you could always enjoy if nothing else interested you. I did find that the buffet on deck had a more limited menu and you had to endure the usual lines to get to it. There was a separate salad bar line that was easily accessible and pizza was always available. All-in-all, the food was great!
I was a little disappointed in the number of activities available on the cruise. There were not many planned activities for the guest to participate in. I really like to get into all of the cheesy games they have on cruises and was disappointed that there were not many available. They did have a towel folding class that was great, I learned to make an elephant and a dog... and the housekeeping staff donated their off time to hold the class. What a great group! There was a library that had games in it for use, but it was only open for an hour twice a day, so it did not really provide an opportunity for use when things were slow. I recommend that you bring a couple of good books for this cruise. The shore excrusions were wonderful. The Myan Ruins tour in Progresso was very informative and interesting. The Clear kayak and snorkling in Cozumel was my favorite, the tour guides were very organized and made the most of the time available.
The staterooms were very comfortable and did not feel cramped. There was plenty of closet and drawer space availabe. We had an outside cabin so the view was great. I was surprised because the beds were very comfortable, so I slept good.
The staff was incredible, very professional and friendly. Our room steward made sure he knew our schedule (meals, shore excrusions, etc)and would clean our room while we were gone, so everytime we came back to the room it was fresh. We had one person really go above and beyond, not sure what his position was on the ship, but I stopped him in the hallway outside of our room to ask how to get a form to order room service for breakfast. He told me to call room service and they would send one up... but he knocked on my door a few moments later and handed them to me. He had went and got some and brought them all the way back.
Progreso (Merida), Mexico
The Myan Ruins tour is a must see. You get alot of history about the area and get to wander around the ruins and swim in the sink hole. I would definitely recommend it. I also found that if you want to buy this is the place to do it, much cheaper in Progreso than in Cozumel. There is a great shop right there at the ruins that you do not want to miss.
Don't Miss: The Myan Ruins tour.
The clear kayaking and snorking excrusion was wonderful. The site was breathtaking and everything was extremely organized and well maintained. The tour guides were knowledgeable and very aware of safety. The view of the bottom from the clear kayak was awesome, but it got even better when we got to go back over the areas snorkling. This is not a large reef, but multiple small sites that you get to explore. Many varities of fish to see. An absolute must is to order food there... the nachos were better than I've ever had, all of the plates were overflowing. The tour provides a great fruit bar to the tour guest and it's unlimited and everything was fresh.
Don't Miss: The clear kayak and snorking.