Holiday (RETIRED) Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

An Enjoyable Cruise

Sail Date: April 10, 2006

Overall, the cruise was pleasant and relaxing, & the weather was beautiful. I would not recommend Calica to anyone, it was not worth the time and trouble of getting off the ship. The taxi drivers were rude, the town dirty, the sales clerks obnoxious, & the prices ridiculous. Cozumel was more what we expected, and it was a reasonably pleasant way to spend 2 or 3 hours. The Holiday was extremely clean the entire cruise, and the staff worked endlessly to keep it clean & in order. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the long slide at the pool, and the fun in the sun. My fellow cruisers were a super group, friendly & kind.

Pros: The Staff

Cons: Long lines

We had a handicapped room that would accomodate my wheelchair, but it was at the very end of the ship, at the end of a very long hallway, which made it very difficult with both my cane & wheelchair due to a lot of extra steps. I thought it would be near an exit, & I was surprised when it wasn't. In the event of a fire, etc. a handicapped person would have a difficult time getting out.
The room steward, purser, and most of the staff was very kind & so helpful. As a first time cruiser, I had a lot of questions. Special kudos to the staff in the Wharf bar & grill. They were unbelievably kind and courteous. They were so anxious to be of assistance in any way possible!
The most difficult part of the cruise for me personally was getting to & from my room at the far end of the hallway. At any given time there were multiple obstacles in the way (cleaning carts, vacuum cleaners, room service trays, etc) that made maneuvering difficult in my wheelchair.
The evening meal was great the last 2 nights, but the first 3 nights, the food was lukewarm, and didn't have much flavor.
The show "Shout!" was great, & wow, it was the most high energy show I have ever seen anywhere. Those kids danced, sang, and smiled for over an hour at such amazing speeds!
Calica, Mexico
About 15 minutes by taxi from the ship, this is a small, overall dirty area with nothing unique to offer for shoppers. It wasn't worth the time & money to get off the boat.
The shops were right on the coastline, and very accessible from the dock.
Don't Miss: Don't miss the Hard Rock Cafe, always a great stop. Exotica had a good selection of souveniers.