Good cruise, but hiccups out of Baltimore

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Grandeur of the Seas

5 Night Bermuda (Baltimore Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 12, 2019

Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

We were emailed and told the ship was late. We arrived at the port at 1:00 and turned away. My family of 4 had nowhere to go so we sat outside at a strip mall w our luggage and prayed it didn't rain. We finally got on and the cruise was wonderful. For an older ship, it was clean and beautiful. Our bar service folks, stateroom attendants and waiters were top notch. Activities on the ship were well run and the director was great. I know it couldn't be helped, but in the centrum main area to hang out, they had construction crews using Jack hammers, saws and power tools every day fixing damage from the previous cruise. Hard to relax with that. I do feel they compensated us well for cruising out several hours late, no complaints. We got an entire day back on the room, drink packages and cancelled excursions. My main issue is I went daily to the front desk explaining we had flights at noon. I always was told no problem. Day 3 we learned we would dock at 10 AM or shortly after arriving very late. I went multiple times to the front desk and they would not even take my name to get us off first. We were put in the dining hall begging anyone we could find to get us to the front of the line. Ship docks and nobody will listen and even get us in the centrum. My wife found a captain of all people and explained our situation. He personally escorted us off the ship w many apologies. It was the most stressful situation I've ever experienced on a ship. I've cruised many times w RC. The communication was horrible and no plan in place for a late arrival relatively small number of guests. We had our kids w us, it was scary. With that said, the cruise itself was wonderful!

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Ship tip

Drive and don't fly. Getting on and off this ship was extremely stressful.

Ports of call