Diamond in the Rough

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 2-3 cruises

Overall rating:

Grandeur of the Seas

7 Night Bahamas (Baltimore Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 04, 2020

Ship: Grandeur of the Seas

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 7556

Traveled as: Family (young children)

Review summary

Even though we were unable to make it to Nassau I wouldn’t have changed a thing! Perfect Day at Coco Cay and the extended time we had at Port Canaveral made up for missing Nassau! Staff and service on the Grandeur was top notch!!!

Embarkation

Ship experiences

My family and I spent most meals in the Gatsby Dining room. Highly disappointed with the food provided in the Windjammer, as well as availability. My husband and my daughter attended the sushi making class in the specialty restaurant, which was amazing!

Windjammer Marketplace

Mediocre to say the least. Very limited selection as well as limited hours. Very hard to find a seat inside the Windjammer, which led us to eating outside on the pool deck.

Great Gatsby Dining Room

One word too sum up the service and food in the Gatsby Dining Room, AMAZING! Definitely skip the Windjammer and hit the Gatsby for all meals! Told by staff in the Gatsby that the Chef and kitchen are different from the Windjammer when I asked why the food taste different.

Casino Royale

Casino was stuffy as you could smoke inside.

Whirlpools

Even though the whirlpools were in constant use, they were not overly crowded, if crowded at all.

Logo Souvenir Shop

Not impressed with the limited selection of items offered for sale on the ship. Selection for kids in terms of clothing was non existent, except for port of call shirts from ports of call we did not visit!

Solarium

The indoor pool was decent and quiet, but I preferred the openness of the outdoor pool, as it wasn’t stuffy like the solarium.

Swimming Pools

Outdoor heated swimming pool was amazing, as well as the outdoor hot tubs. Nothing was overly crowded, which was nice!

Gift Shop

Very pricey for products that they sell.

Palladium Theater

Production shows, as well as headliners were very enjoyable!!!

Centrum

Beautiful and always had something going on in that area of the ship. The majority of the time a live band was playing.

Traveled with a ten year old that chose not to participate in the kid’s club unfortunately. My six year old participated in the kid’s club numerous times throughout the cruise. He absolutely loved it, the activities and making new friends!

Service was top notch!!!!

The ship was easy to navigate. The touch screen directory on each deck was an added bonus! Although ship was older it was very clean and well maintained!

Ship tip

Although the ship lacks glitz and glam like the newer ships in the fleet, the Grandeur of the Seas will not disappoint.

Ports of call

Baltimore, Maryland

This was my first cruise from the Baltimore, as I cruise out of Bayonne, NJ (Cape Liberty). I live in Delaware and this trip to Baltimore was easier and much quicker to get to than Bayonne. Everything from arrival on went extremely smooth! Except for the fact that our ship needed to sit in the Chesapeake Bay overnight, due to weather conditions, which in turn made us miss docking in Nassau.

Perfect Day At Coco Cay, Bahamas

No wonder it’s named Perfect Day at Coco Cay!!!!! Everything was PERFECT!!!! This is definitely a port of call that you should put on your must visit list, especially if you have kids! The island is big enough where you don’t feel crowded or looking for a lounge chair and umbrella! I can’t speak highly enough about the cleanliness, amenities and activities offered on the island! There is something for everyone! Not to mention the complimentary food that is offered on the island is simply delish! Don’t forget to order the islands signature drink the Coco Loco!!!! It’s yummy and you get to keep the cool cup!

Port Canaveral, Florida

Awesome!!! Even though we only had one excursion booked for the day and were totally clueless as for what to do during our time in Port Canaveral (8:00-10:00pm) we actually found lots to do!!! Definitely do the Lone Cabbage Airboat excursion, it’s so worth the money! Book through Royal Caribbean online before your trip as it is much cheaper. We had an amazing time and saw some gators in their natural habitat, which was awesome! Gator bites were delish (never thought I would say that). An added bonus was a brief meet and greet with a few animals, including a gator from a wildlife sanctuary. We took a “cruise special” helicopter ride for $19.99 pp, which was awesome! Be sure to see Hudson (the pilot) the next time your in Port Canaveral! We explored the Exploration Tower at the port, as well as ventured to golf n’gator (recommended by the locals)! Had such a memorable family day!!!

Disembarkation

Extremely easy, although some staff off the ship were not very friendly.