honeymoon vacation

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: January 01, 2010
Ship: Grandeur of the Seas
The ship is small compared to the rest of RCCL's fleet. Launched in '96 it will probably be retired soon. That being said it's a decent ride and if you're looking for a cheap cruise deal, snag it. The crew was very helpful, the food (at the windjammer) was nice. There could have been more on board activities. The main dinning hall (great gatsby) was a total and complete disaster. My wife and I showed up dressed in our wedding suit and dress and were immediately asked if we would mind moving tables. We accommodated the request and were then moved to a table that had already ordered. While we waited to have our order taken they were served. After 20 odd minutes we finally got frustrated and ate cold leftovers at the windjammer. During this process I got some sort of food stuck to the sleeve of a $600 suit. We showed up the next night and they moved (this time at our request) to our own table. They put us at the bottom of the stairs with non stop traffic coming and going. Our secondary waiter was hovering over us the entire time, it was kind of creepy and definitely cramped. Of the five nights we stayed on the ship this was the only night we made it through the main dinning experience (if you can call it that). The food was terrible at the Gatsby.

Shore excursions were cool and the guides were very helpful. Power snorkeling was amazing.

I also bought a pair of cuff links from the in ship mall that broke immediately when I got home.

For around $1,000 total cost for the trip it was a deal. Would I do it again, probably not on this ship. I'll look for a nicer class ship with RCCL or go to a different cruise line

windjammer - awesome. Gatsby - crap, see above.

The climbing wall was small and the routes were super easy (I do climb three times a week and was expecting more). The power snorkeling was amazing and the guides were super helpful (thanks Juan!)

Everyone was great except the staff at the (not so) Great Gatsby.

older ship, smelled like cigarettes. Our converted queen size bed kept splitting into two twin size beds which is frustrating, especially on your honeymoon.

you get what you pay for. A "large" interior stateroom isn't, but it is cheap.

Pros: laid back atmosphere and port excursions

Cons: dinning room disaster(s)

Recommends Grandeur of the Seas? No.