Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Bermuda

Our first cruise, absolutely wonderful

Sail Date: August 08, 2009

Room Type: Suite

The Grandeur was an absolutely beautiful ship. It was spotless from the minute we boarded to the time we left. It was an anniversary vacation for my wife and myself but the whole time I kept thinking we were vacationing in a huge floating hotel. As always with any vacation, just when you are having a wonderful time, the moment to go home arrives. My wife and I are already making plans for our next cruise on the Grandeur and next time it will be for a longer stay.

Pros: Definitely the wait staff

Cons: There was nothing to not like

Recommends Grandeur of the Seas? Yes!

The size of the ship really amazed us, I believe we were on every level of the ship except for the third level. The layout of the ship was posted in the center of each deck and at first that was very helpful for us to find our way around. Then when we became familiar with each level we were able to get around on our own. We love the decor on each level of the ship, a I said we felt like we were vacationing on a huge five star hotel. As far as the cleanliness, we never saw anything that was not being kept up. If people left glasses, cup, etc. I always saw one of the crew picking it up, cleaning the area and making sure it was spotless. As for the accessibility I have a hard time due to a knee replacement but there was no where on the ship that I could not get to. It is definitely laid out so anyone with a handicap such as a wheel chair had access to the entire ship.
The dining room ... what more can I say but excellent. The selection of the food, the quality of the food was absolutely great. The only problem is, I am now home, there is no more wait staff, no more menu ... I want to go back to the ship NOW! On a scale of 1 - 10 I am giving the wait staff an 11. Our waiter and assistant waiter were the best. There were both super friendly, knew our names within the first night and they also knew exactly what beverages we wanted the next nights that we had dinner. Our assistant waiter was so efficient that she never let my iced tea run out. There were times she refilled the glass and I did not even notice that she had done so. As for the food, the menu had several items to select from for the appetizer, the main course and the dessert. Each night had a different menu selection and it was never easy to decide what you wanted because it all was so good. Plus we made new friends with the people that were sitting at the table with us.
The stateroom was absolutely beautiful, it looked exactly as advertised. It really was a fun place to stay in because you never knew what was waiting for you once you left the room. The first night we got a pig towel, the second night we got a monkey. On the third night since we were celebrating our anniversary we got a pair of swan towel with rose petals all around it. The stateroom attendant had a great personality and was always cheerful when we met him in the hallway. Once again I will say the room matched any 5 star hotel.
As I already said, all the contacts that we had with any of the ship staff was always a pleasant experience. We were even invited to meet with the Captain of the ship and his officers, that was a fantastic experience because when we were asked about any meeting with the crew or staff we had nothing but the best to say about them.
What can you say, even though we are really too old to participate in some of the activites, we got as much out of it as though that were doing them. The pool activities were absolutely the funniest. From the Mr. Grandeur competition to the belly slash competition it left us laughing. As we all know laughter is the best medicine. I on a personal side enjoyed all the trivia games that took place. You got to test your condition and also compete and compared against others.
King's Wharf, Bermuda
Before we got to Bermuda I had purchased a excursion tour which was titled "Tea and Tales". After getting off the ship we were met by our driver, Karson. As we started off on the tour he explained what we were going to be doing and the time that it would last. Karson took us to many places on the island, showed us how beautiful Bermuda is and also how clean it is. On this tour we stopped for a "High English Tea" which was a lot of fun. We were taken a light house and given the chance to climb the 186 steps that it takes to get to the top. Once there the view of Bermuda is something that you absolutely have to see for yourself. We were taken to an area overlooking Horseshoe Bay. This view is what makes us want to return to Bermuda and to be able to go down to the beach next time. We had questions and Karson supplied the answers for everything. This was an excellent tour that I would recommend.
Don't Miss: Glasswork - not only for the glass products but the absolutely best tasting rum cakes!