Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Sail Date: May 01, 2007

Room Type: Suite

Let me get started by saying that we really had a good time, it is almost impossible to have a bad time in the Caribbean, especially on vacation. Having said that, this review is for all of you considering the Grandeur of the Seas for your vacation plans.

OK so now were in line for nearly an hour, the longest I have ever waited to check in on any cruise line. Once we got up to the desk, things went better, and we were checked in, photographed, and on the ship in about five minutes. We resolved to chalk up our bad embarkation to Baltimore, and we were ready to have fun.

Anyway, the destinations were great, the shore excursions were great, but the disembarking was a nightmare! Royal Caribbean had absolutely no control over the situation in the Bahamas when disembarkation was announced. I almost wish that we had been tendered; perhaps it would have been more orderly. There was a throng of people in every stairwell trying to leave the ship. It was so packed, so uncomfortable, and so awful that people starting getting loud. We had disabled persons with canes and crutches standing on the stairs in a 5 floor throng of people trying to get out the tiny two man exit doors. We had excursion leaders pushing tour groups ahead of everyone else to get them out the doors and to their buses. It was chaos!

Port Canaveral, however was terrible! Heres a commentary on our post 9-11 security, folks! Before you can get OFF, you must get in a long snaking line that starts on floor 5 and ends up on floor 3 into the main ballroom. There you must produce your shipboard card, and your passport for US inspection. (This happened in Key West, too, but wasnt as bad!) They LOOK at your passport, dont look at you, and *this is the truth I promise you* you get a happy face drawing on your shipboard card if you pass this tedious inspection. THEN you are allowed to leave the ship. Two hours after you dock you can actually get off the ship.

It is super hot in Florida in late May. The embarkation at Port Canaveral was so insane, so out of hand, that Port Canaveral, RC, and the US Government should be ashamed. We waited for close to 1 hours in line in the heat to get back on the ship. Disabled persons as well, standing with no chairs in the heat. The line moved slowly, the screeners were inefficient and looked like the most miserable folks on earth. No RC reps out there with water or chairs, just the unpleasant, furtive looks from the guards inside the glass building, on break, sitting comfortably in air conditioning. They were unpleasant, the facilities were inadequate, and I cannot state to you enough that you would not feel safe being screened by these persons.

Well, so to sum up the Grandeur of the Seas I would say do it for the itinerary, do it for the price, but be prepared to get what you pay for. The cheaper fares result in poorer quality of food, and horrid I MEAN horrid transitions in and out of port. We are looking at other lines for our next trip.

Pros: Decor, Staff

Cons: Food, embarkation at stops

Recommends Grandeur of the Seas? No.

The first night we ate casually, at the Windjammer caf. The food (now, my husband and I take food very seriously) left a lot to be desired. There were plenty of choices, lots of selection, but for the amount of money we spent I expected a better buffet. The food was bland, the kind of food you eat, but dont go back for seconds for. Thats not what I want when Im paying this much money for a vacation. We finished dinner, and looked forward to the sit-down dinner, expecting greater things from the chef the next night.

The ship itself is about ten years old, but wears it well. It was clean, freshly painted, and the fixtures were beautiful. I have read that there was a bad smell on this ship, but rest assured, all was normal. You can smell bad odors when docking, etc but not apparent while on board. It wasnt too crowded when walking around, minimal lines for activities, lounge chairs were out and available. The staff was moving briskly, they were friendly, and very accessible.
The junior suite was nice, but wasnt what the pictures show. It was slightly more shabby than they lead you to believe. (Not the cleanliness, but the actual condition of the furnishings) Now, Ive seen this in countless other hotels, motels, and resorts, so no biggie, we did get what we paid for, just barely. It means RCs marketing folks do a good job. Room steward Rodney was great! Excellent service from him & his staff, they were always attentive and eager to accommodate our requests.
The service RC offers from their gifts and gear (gifts & treats delivered to your room) was, with no exaggeration, terrible! I ordered two months in advance TWO robes to be delivered on embarkation night, as a present. When we got in, our state room decorations were there as requested, but we got one robe, and additional gifts were missing. The surprise was ruined as I had to call the front desk, only to find out that they were out of robes. No notification to me, if I hadnt complained, I would still be down one robe and out $50.
What you'd expect