An awesome expierence!

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Sail Date: December 01, 2006
Ship: Grandeur of the Seas
Our family (5 of us) had a wonderful Christmas vacation on the Grandeur of the Seas! One thing that was so impressive and something I worried about from reading reviews from the RC, was santitizing. Let me tell you, the crew has it under control! Each time you enter the dining area, or buffet areas, a crew member stands by a santitizer machine, you do not go in unless you put your hands under the machine to sanitize. Also, at the buffet, a crew member (or waiter) serves the food to you with tongs, no one handles the food. Speaking of the food, it was wonderful. The 90 chefs aboard make exquisite entrees, as well as beautiful yummy desserts! Our waitress was precious. One night my son (who is 18) was not feeling well, she wanted to prepare him a meal to take back to the stateroom. So caring, and by the last night, we all felt like we were saying good bye to a special friend. If you go on this cruise, ask for "Evangeline", she is truly awesome! I also worried about not booking our excursion online before we left. NO WORRIES! There are so many, we booked a Fiesta Beach excursion for Cozemel, including snorkeling (twice) a trip to an island with many water sports, (great for kids) and a wonderful lunch! I would recommend this highly! One thing that did happen and PLEASE take precaution regarding your luggage. After docking, all the luggage at the port goes into one huge area, when we finally found our luggage (which is mostly grouped together) we got home and realized we were missing a suitcase! Good news is that it has been found and they are shipping it to us today. This was OUR fault, but with 5 of us for 7 days was ALOT of luggage to keep uP with!
The Grandeur of the Seas was a very clean, organized ship. I have been on other cruise ships before, and this was the absolute best! One other thing I might add, if you plan an excursion, please make your children aware of the weather, we could not go to the Grand Caymen Islands because the ship (tendered), the waters were so rough, no one could get to shore. Alot of very disappointed kids, so make them aware this could happen. A wonderful, thrilling trip that made our Holiday on the Grandeur of the Seas a cruise our family will never forget!

When we chose our dining time, it was at 6:30, even though we do not like eating late, we changed our time to the 8:30 seating because of excursions, this way we did not have to rush back to make our early dinner...worked out perfectly! The food was not only delicious, but beautiful as well. If we did not like what was on the menu, there were other great choices. I loved going to the ice carvings and chef's specialties at midnight. Once you view all the beautiful food, you went back at 12:30 and could sample everything.

On Christmas Day I won $250.00 on a slot machine! The casino was kept very clean, I worried a bit about cigerette smoke, never had a problem, ventilation was good! Also, wonderful chocklate chip cookies and fresh coffee and juice are available while you are gambling! The shows were very good, enjoyed all of them. One day on the ship, it was raining and the waters were rough, we went to the game room and played Monopoly, it was a blast...and took your mind off the rough seas! (I am convinced, it really is all in your mind) none of us got sick!

No small kids, but Anna Banana seemed to be entertaing those kids very well!

Our attendant was Hershel, we nicknamed him Hershey Bar and he loved it...he really did go way above and beyond. Also, when you order room service, we never waited over 20 minutes, the food was hot and delicious!

I was so impressed with the cleanliness of the ship. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas with soft wonderful music playing at all times.

I have heard so much about staterooms smelling of cigerette smoke, I took with me scented plug ins...did not need them! Alot more storage space than I imagined, we had plenty of space. Beds were very comfortable, I got the best sleep ever!

Pros: In reading reviews before the cruise, I took everything possible with me for disinfecting...from Lysol to hand santitzer! A cruise for my family for the Christmas Holiday, the last thing I wanted was for someone to get sick. The crew took all precaution on santitizing.

Cons: The short excursion to Costa Maya, should make different stops for cruisers, don't suggest to anyone

Recommends Grandeur of the Seas? Yes!