Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Wonderful First Cruise

Sail Date: June 01, 2006

Traveled As: Family w/young children

The ship was 10 years old and looked like a 10 year old ship. However the crew did a terrific job keeping it constantly maintained and scraping off every bit of rust, painting, and polishing. The ship felt warm, homey, and very comfortable. We did the nine day western carribean cruise.

We felt like we could just relax and enjoy ourselves. We had nothing to prove and only wanted to have best time possible. Weather was rough for a couple of days (there was a small hurricane that we went around near FL) but otherwise lots of sun. The level of activity was outstanding with many folks in the gym and walking/running. The rock wall was great and me and my daughter (age 8) both climbed it several times (we were both first time climbers and had a blast). My wife and I restarted evening walking and found out that we really enjoyed it...we are still walking regularly now.

The spa was really nice but we were not that interested in it. My son got his hand severely bruised on a door so we even experienced the infirmary. That faciliity (and staff) was better than most emergency rooms that I have seen in the states. The prices were pegged to Medicare so the bill was really low. Treatment was outstanding.

We had such a great experience that we booked our next cruise before we left!

Pros: children programs, level of activity

Cons: shows, bahamas

Entertainment was OK. Worth watching but cable is better.
Beds were lumpy and not that comfortable. Room was fine. Like a small hotel room. We spent very little time in the room so it was not a factor.
The ship layout was very nice. Larger than we expected (almost as large as an aircraft carrier) and hard to imagine that some ships are double in size. Clean and maintained. Some dishes left out but that was more due to the lazy/messy guests rather than the crew...you can only clean up after folks so much.
Food was outstanding. Lots of selection (about 10 choices per night in the main dining). Windjammers was great too with lots of casual selection.
Staff were experienced and very helpful. We did not meet anyone that we did not like. The head waiter was terrific...my wife did not know how to deshell a shrimp. The head waiter took care of it for her and was very witty and humorous about it. Cruise director was very fun.
These programs were outstanding. My kids go to private school and even they were very impressed. They looked forward to each day and had an outstanding time. When the cruise was over they asked when they could go back.