Grand Princess Cruise Review

Grand Princess

Sail Date: May 28, 2017

Ship: Grand Princess

Review Summary

Grand, Alaska June 26, 2017: the Cabin. We were in a balcony C256. We usually elect for inside cabins. They are quiet, dark and serve our needs but mostly cause I'm cheap. Balconies can cost twice the cost of inside and I would rather sail twice in an inside than once on a balcony. I usually book my inside really close to a deck so it is a quick walk to outside. I originally booked inside for this cruise but got an offer for a $350 pp upgrade to a Preferred Balcony. Preferred just means a preferred location not any bigger. We were able to get a Caribe cabin. Caribe balconies on Grand Class ships have about twice the square feet of regular balconies. Half of it is covered. In Alaska that extra cost was worth it but still wouldn't have paid much more. We happened to have a good view heading towards Margerie glacier so we were able to stay in our cabin for a nice long look. If you are serious about viewing glaciers etc in Glacier Bay you must go on deck or you are stuck seeing what happens to be visible from your balcony at the time. That is fine if you just want to relax and enjoy the view as it comes but you only take in a fraction of what you would see roving to strategic locations on the deck. Closet space for this cabin was tiny. Literally half what we had on other cabins on Grand Class and similar ships. With all the Alaska layers it was a little tight but doable. We enjoyed the cabin but tried to spend as little time as possible in it. We did order the breakfast from the limited wake up menu and ate on balcony. That was fun. Overall great experience having a balcony and would do it again if found a great price.