Grand Princess Cruise Review

Grand Princess

Sail Date: July 07, 2017

Ship: Grand Princess

Review Summary

Alaska ten day: the food. This may be my main motivation for cruising. That being said let me preface my review by saying I am not that hard to please when it comes to food but I do take notice of it. After 20 years of cruising I can honestly say the quality has not changed much. It's always been fantastic when you realize they made thousands of the servings hours earlier. It's not five star but you're not paying for that either so you can't expect that. I can say the desserts have improved over time, or at least they are fancier. I remember when the Love Boat dessert was the bomb but now it ranks well below the Norman Love creations. I always get two entrees and at least one is really good. The Rib Eye steak could not have been tastier. My wife raved about the Crusted Salmon from the Favorite (available everyday) menu. We did the Crown Grill once. Definitely worth it. Better than the MDR for sure but I would only go on a day the MDR menu was lackluster. You can get in without a reservation if you go after 8:00 pm. The fillet mignon was tender but not Ruth's Chris quality. Breakfast buffet was similar everyday but had literally dozens of choices so you never had to repeat. There is a "made to order" eggs/omelet station where you place your order and they bring it to your table. Just ask where it is if you don't see it. Lunch buffet was meh with occasional great dish. Be sure to find the reindeer chili station during Glacier Bay -awesome, and it's reindeer! No. 1 tip. check out the hamburger stand after 6:00 pm before a port. Princess teams with a famous local restaurant to serve one if their signature dishes. Before Ketchikan it was fish tacos from The Alaska Fish Co. (a $15 dish on shore) before Juneau it was Tracy's Crab Shack's crab cakes. Dinner buffet had some of the major dishes from MDR but not all. Overall, not gourmet but lots of really good stuff with a few misses. Remember, if you don't like it, don't eat it. The cruiseline would rather waste a little food than you have a bad meal. If you eat something you don't like on a cruise, it's your own fault.