Alaska Cruise

Grand Princess

Sail Date: June 01, 2013

Ship: Grand Princess

Review Summary

The cruise was an enjoyable one overall\, except for the early entry into Tracy Arm at 5 am\, and the disappointment of not being able to reach Sawyer Glacier because of too much ice in the water. By the time I was able to make it to the top deck at 8:30 am\, the ship had actually turned around\, and all I saw was just green mountains on both sides and scattered ice in the water\, and no glacier anywhere in sight. Some public announcements regarding where we were\, that we had turned back mid way\, and why\, would have been nice.

Ship Experiences

Both the menu and food quality were fine in the dining room as well as Horizon Food Court\, and they offered dessert choices for 2 dietary needs. The Chef's Table was a very pampered and extremely memorable experience for the lucky few.

Good variety of activities and entertainment were offered. The cruise musical productions reflected a lot of creative planning and hard work by the entire team.

Most of the staff on board were friendly and courteous\, except for an occasional few who were curt and less attentive. One of my friends was reprimanded by a supervisor in the Horizon Food Court for taking silverware on her own instead of waiting for a waiter to lay the setting.

The ship is clean and well kept\, but I do not like the layout of the ship where access gets cut off at odd places\, even though I understand it is their way to maximize space utility. I like to use stairs instead of elevators\, and I often had to go from one end of the ship to the other to gain stair access that links the main deck to the top deck. There are also no stairs in mid ship.

Average stateroom size\, i.e. small\, but storage space still adequate.

Pros: Good cruise entertainment productions\, and the Chef's Table

Cons: Ship layout

Recommends Grand Princess? Yes!