Grand Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Tracy Arm Inside Passage

Sail Date: August 31, 2014

I've heard that weather makes the trip, it did! We had good weather most of the time, worst day was a drizzly day in Juneau. The weather ended up costing us our helicopter flight to the glacier, the biggest highlight of our trip. We ended up hiking to a point as close to the glacier as possible, so it worked out just fine, but it wasn't a ride in a helicopter and walking on the glacier.

When you do a cruise of this nature [scenery is the attraction] do get a balcony. We had a totally unobstructed view with a big window, but not like sitting on a balcony and seeing the mountains and waterfalls as you pass through the fjords.

Grand Princess was a little dated and the food wasn't good or bad, it was OK. Lobster night was excellent and our specialty dining night was outstanding. We did the anytime dining, shared our table all the time and met a lot of nice people. The captain I heard was a "little conservative" so we didn't get anywhere near the glacier as we traveled up the fjords; another cruise line went right up near them and saw pieces of the glacier breaking off - we didn't. That was a big disappointment as that was the whole idea.

Overall the service was very good and my experience with booking through price line was equally as good. I will check in the future the age of the ship and the size of the ship.

some were pricey. I think you can get better deals on shore or possibly through Price line vs. booking with the ship.