Grand Princess Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Purser

Average Cruise

Sail Date: September 01, 2012

Room Type: Suite

The ship was average when compared to similar-sized ships with other cruise lines. Mediocrity appears to be the goal - and they achieved it. For a new person, I am sure it's impressive. But I have been on more than a dozen cruises and this was average at best.

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: Ship & staff were average when compared to any other major cruise line

Recommends Grand Princess? No.

Average\, average\, average. It has all the same amenities as any large cruise ship. One annoying thing was that the aft dining room (Botticelli) only had 2 elevators (lifts) that were ble to reach it. It was a very poor design.
Seafood was very good; steaks and meat offering were usually tough. The quality of food items varied quite a bit. Overall\, I'd say it was average.
The room was clean. Overall\, I feel that staterooms are getting smaller as the ships strive to cram more people onto them. We had a suite and it was roughly the same size as a simple outside cabin with balcony on earlier ships. Our stateroom had an especially annoying design flaw. It was the first room at the front of our floor. As a result\, it did not have a wind-screen on it. The gale-force wind that came off the bow of the ship made our balcony totally unusable when the ship was moving.
The staff was average in almost all respects. The one pleasant exception was the wait-staff in the \"assigned seating\" dining room. They were outstanding. Unfortunately\, the wait staff in the \"anytime dining\" room was just the opposite. The randomness of the table/staff assignments in the \"anytime dining\" format seems to make the wait-staff more \"distant\" and impersonal. The rest of the ships staff were the same as any other ship.
Average to poor. The \"Showtime\" singers/dancers were not as good as some that you might see on reality competition shows. The comedians were very good. Activities were consistent with any cruise I on which I have ever been. There was nothing special.